• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lewis and Clark's rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ghost,.... I agree, the "lack of" any mention in regards to a new rifle or any of it's new "features" in form or function, would not have been a simple "oversight" of the memebers of the extended expedition in ther journals ('specialy Lewis).

YMHS
rollingb

Unless Ambrose is all wrong in his dates, which I don't think he is, I would say the rifles (1803's) were there. :imo:

And I will also say, maybe they weren't part of the Corps of Discovery? :imo:

I am not convinced either way completely. In my case it may not be as important to me as it is to other's. My area of interest is the fur trade era of 1820 to 1840...

However, I do find it a very interesting subject, and realize the western fur trade was born from this expedition. It is an area that should be studied further by those who's interest is of that era, and can bring more overall knowledge to the table over the issue of weapons carried by the Corps of Discovery... :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back