• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Liege damascene

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinghewitt

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I stopped by Peter Dyson's shop this morning and collected two of his original Liege damascene tubes. This will need some thinking about :hmm:

http://www.peterdyson.co.uk/

damask.jpg

My Dear Squire Robin -
I drool on my keyboard.
Do you have any photos of what these pieces resemble when cleaned up?

What are the restrictions on building firelocks and firelock ownership on your side of the Big Water?

best regards
shunka

Hi shunka

I think it's the one Greener calls a "fine figured" or "six-stripe" pattern. PD has plenty left if you want some but it won't last forever. They do require reaming and straightening, but no arguments because this is the real McCoy. Desist from dithering :thumbsup:

Legally I can make any kind of muzzle loader I like. There is a proof law if I import, sell or pawn a piece made post 1939, plus I need to inform the police if I am to make something that isn't a shotgun (so they can charge me 28 quid). The law is far from black and white and original damascene has to be a gray area.

I wiped a bit of ferric chloride on the surface to reveal the pattern ::

Squire Robin

damask2.jpg

I'm drooling, but as good as those prices are there still beyond my current budget. I'm sure it's a golden opportunity for somebody though. I wonder if someone like Getz would mill out a barrel from the larger blank? It should be close enough to the raw dimensions for a tapered octagon.

You ever get that stuff I sent?
SP

Well reminded, it arrived on Sunday minutes before I headed North, I put it under my desk and forgot about it :shocking:

Should I keep that unopened 'till Christmas as well? ::

It should be close enough to the raw dimensions for a tapered octagon.

The whole point of damascene is you can go wafer thin at the muzzle :: :: ::

Both blanks are the same size, one is upside down. I think the lump on the end is for the breeching, this is late damascene, cartridge guns. For an ML rifle you could extend the barrel over the lock where the wood is weakest, like on the English sporting rifle.

The narrow end of the tube is off centre but I think this may correct itself a few inches down. According to Greener the Liege damascene was welded a few inches at a time with a small furnace. Very time consuming but the best.

Open it, is it ticking?

Wow, I knew you were exceedingly rich but this is still much too generous. I've never seen a Gatling before and complete with field carriage to. Next time that fox comes after the chickens I'm sure going to put the fear of God into him with this gadget :master:

What can I say :shocking: Happy Christmas :: :: ::

You guys are funny. Drooling over rusty old larval barrels.

I've begun accumulating maple gunstock blanks Robin. If you see one you like below, let me know. Maybe we should work out a deal. ::

SEED1.JPG

Oh, got a lock mechanism ready to begin, too.

hematite.jpg

:crackup:

I know, I know. What good is a baby? I'm sure the potential rests in good hands.

Robin you crack me up.... Gatling gun? Field Cartridges? Where do you come up with this stuff.... :bull: :crackup:

Enjoy the book, your castings, and the jam is for you scones... or whatever your call biscuits. Your chickens shouldn't be offended this time. :shake:

SP

Back