• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long Rifle Gun Case

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDIvancic

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Guys:

Does anyone make a large gun case that will fit a 56 inch long rifle? I've had no luck locally or surfing the web. Figured you guys have been through this before.

Mike

In a pinch (to be legal driving to the range, as NJ law requires all guns to be cased in a vehicle) I've used a bow sock that I have here from Traditional Bowhunter Magazine. It's a heavy, stretchy material that will stretch over a gun, rather than the fleece used for most bow socks. It will protect the gun from scratches, and like I said, will satisfy the law, but it will not protect against a hard impact.

Edit: I just looked on the TBM website, and they still offer them for $8. It looks like they are made by a company known as Sack-Ups. I was just on the Sack-Ups website, and they offer socks for muzzleloaders up to 72" long, and treated with silicone for around $11. http://sackups.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
You could do what I do in the interim: I wrap my English fowler (about 63" LOA, w/ a 48" barrel) in a spare wool blanket. I tuck the ends in sorta like a burrito, and then tie a long sash around each end to keep it all together. It not only gives me a lot of cushion around the gun, I've also got a strap to tote it on my back and can fold or roll up the blanket at the range for a shooting pad if I want to. (Or to keep warm or take a nap! :haha: )

Works for me. :)

I picked up two at Dixons from Tip Curtis. Very nice and they were cheap. I think something like ten buck. Call him, he may have more.
Bill

Homesteader said:
You could do what I do in the interim: I wrap my English fowler (about 63" LOA, w/ a 48" barrel) in a spare wool blanket. I tuck the ends in sorta like a burrito, and then tie a long sash around each end to keep it all together. It not only gives me a lot of cushion around the gun, I've also got a strap to tote it on my back and can fold or roll up the blanket at the range for a shooting pad if I want to. (Or to keep warm or take a nap! :haha: )

That's what we do now. I was hoping to find a hard case as the guns have to ride in the back of the pickup on the way up to Nationals.

Mike

We had this same discussion a couple or three months ago on this forum.

I own one of the Cabelas cases and it works just fine for my Pennsylvania rifle but it is very tight on my trade musket. Someone suggested Unique Cases.
Unique Cases - Muskets

I printed off the page and told Goodie Stomper to add it to my Christmas list.

Hellava lot cheaper than Cabelas too!

billd said:
I picked up two at Dixons from Tip Curtis. Very nice and they were cheap. I think something like ten buck. Call him, he may have more.
Bill

I picked up one from Tip at Friendship. They were the only ones I saw in the booths. Like Bill said, $10

Muskeg Stomper said:
We had this same discussion a couple or three months ago on this forum.

Missed that one!

Muskeg Stomper said:
I own one of the Cabelas cases and it works just fine for my Pennsylvania rifle but it is very tight on my trade musket. Someone suggested Unique Cases.
Unique Cases - Muskets

That's what I'm looking for. Something to protect it while traveling. Blanket will have to do for this weekend. Thanks!

Mike

Sometime ago I purchased a rifle that was sent to me packaged in a 6" PVC pipe and it arrived in perfect shape traveling from the lower 48 to Alaska. The rifle was wrapped in a close cell foam. With a slight modification you could put end caps and fashion a handle and the entire thing could be had for probably under $20. Just a thought.

I made a hard case myself from scrap wood I had lying around .... Made a long box, in one peace, and sawed that lengthwise in half... The two halves have a perfect fit... :) put on some cheap hinges, and some cheap locks... The handle is a thick rope that I put throught some drilled holes and notted on the inside... The most expensive part was the padding material .... There were nowhere any rifle cases long enough to find here in Belgium ... To buy one in the U.S. would have cost a fortune to have send over... Put some paint and some nice stickers on the box, and it even looks nice! Is a nice winter project too! :2

Back