• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a long range rod.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m a newby to this stuff but, what would a 9/16” dowel rod be like?
No reason that wouldn't work if you could find one long enough and of the correct wood.

Most dowels you see in muzzleloading suppliers are only to be found as long as 48" and more importantly are made of hickory. Hickory is strong and flexible, and even hickory rods must be carefully selected for grain to preclude easy breakage and hazardous splitting/cracking that can leave you piercing your arm as you ram a ball home.

Most woods found at lumber, hardware and big box home stores are too soft, brittle and unsuitable for the purpose. There are other woods out there that would work but are not commonly made into dowels.

If I am buying a dowel for a ramrod, I prefer selecting it in person, so I get a good straight grain from end to end with no crossing or imperfections, rather than mail ordering. Some say soaking in Coal oil will toughen a rod and give it more flexibility but there is no real consensus on that.

Rods that long are problematic for shipping. They can also be a hassle just transporting. A solution I would look at is to use two rods and join them for use with some kind of sleeve and thread.
Shipping cost yes, transporting to the range no. The rifle is longer. I use a case from unique cases and they sew in a sleeve for the rod on the outside of the case so transporting is easy as the rifle. They can make them in green or brown too.

https://uniquecases.com/product/58-musket-case/

Now this is getting interesting .... IF you are a bit ambitious and imaginative you could ... get a Mil Surp .50 M2 4 piece rod with the T-handle on the base end ... get the thing plastic coated ... and can always add a piece or two ... and they cost like less than 25.00. just sayin.
Getting interesting and getting better with each post.

They sell brass ramrod extensions, this one 12" long, 3/8" with 10-32 male and female threads. Ox Yoke has them.

ramrod extension.JPG

I built a long rod with 5/16” brass tubing. 3/8” brass ramrod tips are a slip fit over the tubing, a little flux and solder, and you’re done. Mine was with 48” tubing, but you may be able to find longer lengths.

Back