• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for A Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been muzzleloading for about a year now and now my dad has sparked some interest in muzzleloading. He doesn't want an inline because he doesn't see the point of using one. He is also a bit of a history nut too. He says he wants something like a .50 cal or maybe a .54 cal. He wants a hawken type gun. He doesn't want a long barrel like my traditions kentucky. He would like to use roundball but wouldn't mind a 1 in 48 twist. The price range needs to be around $300. I had in mind a used t/c hawken or renegade or something like that. Or a traditions springfield hawken from bass pro. I'm trying to stay away from guns that aren't familiar brands like my first muzzleloader which was a kassnar. Anyone have any other ideas?

Are you looking for a factory or a kit gun?

For a Kit gun ( I don't know if they are still available) my first was a CVA St Louis Hawken in .50 and the barrel is a 1:48 twist. Good shooter. Not too long of a barrel. A good sized medium length gun.

I'm new at this also. I got a Thompson Center Renegade 50 cal from my father in law, and I am hooked. I just bought a 50 cal TC Hawken used from another forum member. I believe these come with the 1 in 48 twist barrels. I have had several in-lines before, a White .504, a TC Black Diamond, etc. I just think the percussions are way more fun to shoot and it just feels right when I am in the woods. Deer hunting for me is not longer a trophy or big buck issue, it's just food. Hunting with a muzzleloader is more relaxing than shooting a centerfire with a scope, blah, blah, etc.

Thompson Centers have great customer service and everyone makes aftermarket parts for them if you want to customize.

Have fun!

Welcome to the forum!

Your price range would let you get a new Lyman Trade Rifle in either .50 or .54 cal. if you spent about $50.00 more, depending upon where you get it. Great shooters, very accurate, good warranty!

The two that my son and I own have shot thousands of rounds. They're both .50 cal, 28" barreled half-stocked cap locks with a 1 turn in 48" twist. They shoot .490 patched round balls and 370 grain T/C Maxi-Balls equally well! Changing sights is easy, and the Lyman peep sight goes right on the tang without any fuss--two screws and it's done!

Welcome to the hobby and to the "Dark Side" :haha:

Dave

I have a Traditions woodsman Hawkin and am pleased with it, I picked it up in that price range. There are lots of TC Hawkins out there so finding a good used one in that price range is not hard. The main difference between the two is the stock is slightly longer on the TC and it has a cheekpiece that the Traditions does not. The Traditions factory nipple should be changed out immediately because it is brittle and prone to breaking. TC honors their lifetime warranty for whomever owns the gun . Traditions has a lifetime warranty, but you will not get the same backing as TC provides. Mine is very accurate and all hardware, barrel and stock exhibit good quality and build. Others mileage may vary.

Soon there'll be a gun auction in town and normally some cvas show up. Are they decent shooters? I'm not looking for something that can shoot a 1 in. group at 50 yards just something that can hold a 3 in. at 40 yards or so. I know what to look at now when buying used guns. Has anyone any experience with the traditions springfield hawken from bass pro?

The springfield is basically the same as the Woodsman, just some different hardware. -oops! the Springfield has a 1:66 twist.

luie b said:
Soon there'll be a gun auction in town and normally some cvas show up. Are they decent shooters? I'm not looking for something that can shoot a 1 in. group at 50 yards just something that can hold a 3 in. at 40 yards or so. I know what to look at now when buying used guns. Has anyone any experience with the traditions springfield hawken from bass pro?

IMHO, if the CVA is a caplock, it might be ok, but their flint locks aren't much.

IMHO, if you can get a used TC or Lyman Great Plains rifle, you will be waaaayyy far ahead. Both are good quality, and the Lyman is somewhat close to original plains rifles.

If the bore is good, the threads on the nipple are not stripped and the lock works, a used gun
should be ok.

Mid South has new GPR kits for right at $350. http://www.midsouthshooterssupply....LELOADING RIFLES&dept3=54 CAL&dept4=LYMAN KIT

God bless

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghettogun said:
The springfield is basically the same as the Woodsman, just some different hardware. -oops! the Springfield has a 1:66 twist.

I saw on bass pro's web site through the customer reviews that they are now made in 1:48 twist instead of 1:66 twist.

I would consider the Thompson Hawken first (because I have one...), and then the Lyman GPR (my brother has one). They are both great rifles. :thumbsup:

Many CVA's will shoot one inch groups! They often need "tuned" and the locks worked on but they are a safe and often accurate guns. They usually are not "a tack driver right out of the box". But then playing with our toys is half of the fun.

The best Rifle you can get for around $300.00 IMO is to go to ebay and buy a complete stock for $100 to $150. Then call Thompson Center's outlet store, Foxridge Outfitters and buy a new Round Ball complete drop in barrel, 1 in 66" twist, for $185.00 plus $14.95 shipping and you will have a like new rifle with a Lifetime Warranty that is the best in the business. TC will owner their Lifetime Warranty on the stock and lock even thought you are not the original owner.

Robert

Robert58 said:
The best Rifle you can get for around $300.00 IMO is to go to ebay and buy a complete stock for $100 to $150. Then call Thompson Center's outlet store, Foxridge Outfitters and buy a new Round Ball complete drop in barrel, 1 in 66" twist, for $185.00 plus $14.95 shipping and you will have a like new rifle with a Lifetime Warranty that is the best in the business. TC will owner their Lifetime Warranty on the stock and lock even thought you are not the original owner.

Robert

GREAT ADVICE!!

I think he should go for an affordable rifle like you've already mentioned to get started. However, I always like to think to the future and if he's a history nut like many of us, then it won't be long before he starts migrating to the more expensive longer barreled rifles that are more patterned after actual builders. Just a warning.

That is what I am trying to impress upon him. I payed $100.00 out the door in a Pawn Shop for the rifle in my signature, with a pitted bore, that still shoots ok. But I bought a new RB barrel anyway. So I have $300.00 in the rifle. If I want I can sell the original standard barrel on ebay for at least $60.00. That puts me out only $240.00 for the rifle. And next year when I eather re-stock my TC with Tiger Maple or go for a full Custom I can sell my TC for a lot more than I have in it to help pay for the Custom. If he buys a new Cabelas or Traditions Hawken he will never be able to get his money out of it.

Robert

You can't go wrong with a Lyman Great Plains Rifle. You ought to be able to pick up a very nice used one in your price range. Not only are they a great shooting rifle, but they are much more authentic in appearance than T/C or some of the others. I'd recommend shopping around for a used but well cared for Lyman GPR.

Hi. I'm the one who left that remark on Bass Pro about the twist being 1:48 on the Springfields now. I've notified Bass Pro, but they don't change their website. I talked with Traditions, and they confirmed that they no longer put a 1:66 in the Springfield. That being said, it is a very accurate gun, 95% as accurate as your Traditions Kentucky.

Barrows said:
Hi. I'm the one who left that remark on Bass Pro about the twist being 1:48 on the Springfields now. I've notified Bass Pro, but they don't change their website. I talked with Traditions, and they confirmed that they no longer put a 1:66 in the Springfield. That being said, it is a very accurate gun, 95% as accurate as your Traditions Kentucky.
The traditions kentucky is our 2nd choice because I am looking at some used renegades right now. Oh, and BTW I killed a younger doe with that traditions kentucky last weekend. It was at 50 yards with a prb and 90 grains of pyrodex.

Back