• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a percussion rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf465

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm a flinter and haven't followed the percussion rifle area very much. My son in law has expressed an interest in muzzleloader hunting and I want to keep him interested before he jumps to one of those line-in monstrosities. Thought in my spare time I would start hitting the pawn shops for a percussion rifle. Any recommendations on what models would be worth the effort to look for? Also any that I should avoid??

I like the lyman for a production rifle. It,s a good rifle for a fair price. I know a few guys who shoot them and all are happy with them. Pedresoli also makes a fine rifle but for the money you could just about buy a custom built rifle.

Lyman and T.C. are good quality guns you can find reasonable used. Also for percusion Traditions and older CVA's are acceptable. When looking for any used gun be sure to check the bore condition with a bore light.! :idunno:

When I started looing around for a muzzel loader recently I had a bunch of options come my way but it was the TC Hawken that caught my eye and sealed the deal.
I thought about going with an abomination gun, but I really needed something legal for the special season in Washington.
Then I saw the Hawken and I was in love with it from the second I saw it.

ohio ramrod said:
Lyman and T.C. are good quality guns you can find reasonable used. Also for percusion Traditions and older CVA's are acceptable. When looking for any used gun,,
be sure to check the bore condition with a bore light!
Good advice there, you can work with most of'm but that bore is a big deal.
Ones marked Investarms are fine too, Investarms makes Lyman.
I've made aot of 100-150 pawnshop purchases and come away with some fine guns,,
Sure, they may need a little TLC to bring'm back to life but lock's an triggers, stock work is all pretty easy.

I don't know where you are located but next weekend there is a gun makers fair in PA at Dixons gun shop and there will be a lot of rifles of the type that you are looking for at good prices.

Investarms makes both Lyman and Cabelas muzzle loaders, and there are a lot of good, used ones out there plus if the barrel is badly rusted or pitted you can buy both replacements fairly easily. T/C are always worth looking at, as are Pedersolli. Always use a bore light but remember that even lightly pitted bore can be great shooters. Take a look at the gun auction sites too.

if your looking for a respectable cheap rifle, the Lyman plains rifle is a good choice.

I have a T/C Hawken. I love that gun. I have had only one issue with it. The 2 screws inside the lock plate loosen after several shots. Two drops of lock tight fixed it. Its a GREAT entry level gun. The rear sight is adjustable for both windage and elevation. The Barrel is 28.5" and is very easy to remove for cleaning. You can get drop in barrels in various calibers and lengths.
My 2 cents worth and worth every penny.

I've been shooting a Lyman GPR in 54cal for several years now and can tell you they are accurate and well made. If your the least bit handy you can get a kit for under $400.00 and build your own. Mid South usually has some good deals on them. FRJ

For something different consider the Mule ear or the Underhammer! :grin:

check out the auction sites for investarms rifles. they make the lyman line i have 3 all excellt shooters and 1/3 less

Funny you should mention 'pawn shop'. I already own a Cabelas Blue Ridge Rifle (percussion). Its a pretty gun and a good shooter but a bit cumbersome in the woods. It is now retired and mounted above my fireplace. I recently visited a local pawn shop that carries about 3 dozen long guns (very few muzzleloaders). I spotted an old, rusty CVA Kentucky Rifle (70's kit gun). The brass was patina green, the percussion lock was gritty from the grime of negligence and the barrel was covered in a layer of surface rust; but the bore looked good. Paid $70,took her home and cleaned her up- filed a little brass from off the front sight. Shuffled her to the range a few days later and discovered that she's a wonderful shooter with a .440 PRB and 50 grains of Goex 3F. Because it's a .45 the local deer, squirrels, rabbits and woodchucks better beware this fall and winter...

Fischer

Due to your, and everyone else's recommendations I bought a percussion Lyman Deerslayer in Left Hand 50 Caliber yesterday becuase the local gun store had it new, on clear out for $349. They had a GPR in 54 but it was double the price, and I didn't like the extra stock drop, hooked butt plate and non-glow sights. For a hunting rifle, this short Deerslyer, with its Pachmeyer recoil pad, fairly straight stock and short compact size should be just great. The only change I will likely make is the addition of a peep rear sight.

My wife actually bought it for me for my birthday which is on the 27th. I am looking forward to shooting it and thank you all for the great advice.

Yes it is, and I have been addicted for over 30 years. Shot a lot of game over the years using BP, particualrly small game and birds with a 12 gauge SxS percussion that I like very much.

Got my first Flintlock a few months back, a used custom built half stock 36" Douglas barreled beauty with great fit and finnish with a left hand Lock, in .32 caliber. Shooting it got me interested in doing more shooting with Black Powder arms that are more traditional in design.

Latest posts

Back