• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking to buy a used flintlock, how do I know if it will throw good sparks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All depends on the quality of the lock. If the lock is Chambers or Kibler's you are good to go for sure. CVA, Pedersoli, Traditions are a tossup. Just my opinion.

well Mr. President, you can take the best lock or the worst lock and if they aren't set up right neither will spark worth squat!
the geometry of flint to frizzen, strength of main spring, strength of frizzen spring all effect the spark.
the only way to know if a lock you didn't set up will spark is to trip the sear and watch for sparks.
by the by, never trip the sear without the frizzen being closed over the pan. nasty things can happen.

p.s i voted for you according to my wife.:horseback:

well Mr. President, you can take the best lock or the worst lock and if they aren't set up right neither will spark worth squat!
the geometry of flint to frizzen, strength of main spring, strength of frizzen spring all effect the spark.
the only way to know if a lock you didn't set up will spark is to trip the sear and watch for sparks.
by the by, never trip the sear without the frizzen being closed over the pan. nasty things can happen.

p.s i voted for you according to my wife.:horseback:
Does a frizzen need to be case hardened for good sparks?

A good lock can function poorly, and a poor lock can function fantastic. Case in point Indian Murdock (tuned from veteran arms), there is no powder in the pan. A good locksmith can make most anything throw sparks but some will take more effort than others.
IMG_7358.JPG

IT has been said before "it doesn't matter how many sparks it throws as long as they go into the pan and set off the prime fast every time" I personally own a CVA that never has to be primed (tuned L&R RPL lock ) doesn't throw hardly any sparks but it is the fastest lock I've seen and never fails the only lock I haven't put it up against is the Kibler but I've heard that that one isn't any better then a well tuned Chambers siler

IT has been said before "it doesn't matter how many sparks it throws as long as they go into the pan and set off the prime fast every time" I personally own a CVA that never has to be primed (tuned L&R RPL lock ) doesn't throw hardly any sparks but it is the fastest lock I've seen and never fails the only lock I haven't put it up against is the Kibler but I've heard that that one isn't any better then a well tuned Chambers siler
To me same as CVA, Traditions and Pedersoli. My opinion only based on what I have read over the years and in several cases personal experience.
Clock it and close the frizzen. Pull trigger
the frizzen face is hardened yes.
Should be able to "dry fire" it; hurts nothing. But as Dave Marsh said, almost any lock will need 'tweaking'.
A good lock can function poorly, and a poor lock can function fantastic. Case in point Indian Murdock (tuned from veteran arms), there is no powder in the pan. A good locksmith can make most anything throw sparks but some will take more effort than others.View attachment 333115

Should I take the risk and buy it?

Last edited:
not being snide or anything, but buying anything today is a risk.
if you like the look, it mounts well, balances good, and the trigger feels good, the flint/frizzen throws sparks, and you can afford the purchase price, let us know when you get that first grin from shooting it.
or you could start out with a used TC or even a traditions etc for half the money.
personally, i would go for it. but as my bride says, I have never seen a gun i didn't like.

not being snide or anything, but buying anything today is a risk.
if you like the look, it mounts well, balances good, and the trigger feels good, the flint/frizzen throws sparks, and you can afford the purchase price, let us know when you get that first grin from shooting it.
or you could start out with a used TC or even a traditions etc for half the money.
personally, i would go for it. but as my bride says, I have never seen a gun i didn't like.

I could always have the lock worked on if it isn't so good. I'll go for it.

Let me see if I can sum this up and please don't take offense as it is not intended. You're going to spend $1300 on a gun that is worth probably half that. No longer in production with a reputation that isn't too bad. If the lock doesn't spark well, you're willing to spend $150+ to have it tuned. You asked for input and got it and in the end, you're going to buy it despite the advice given. Your money so go for it. Not sure why you bothered to ask the question in the first place.

Please be POSITIVE that the barrel was not left loaded before you test for sparks with the lock in the rifle or smoothbore. I have purchased used Muzzloader and found a couple that had active loads in the barrels. Be careful.

Please be POSITIVE that the barrel was not left loaded before you test for sparks with the lock in the rifle or smoothbore. I have purchased used Muzzloader and found a couple that had active loads in the barrels. Be careful.
Good point.
IMPO $1,299.99 is about 500-600$ to high. They are not made any longer-so any work or parts will be extra.

You think it's only worth 5-600?

Back