• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking to buy a used flintlock, how do I know if it will throw good sparks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was buying an expensive (over $1000) 'limited addition' or "obsolete" model flintlock, my offer would be contingent on a three day inspection/return period (you pay the return shipping if unsatisfied.) That way, if it is not right, you are not stuck. If the seller is confident the gun is just as they describe, they should have not issue with it.

ADK Bigfoot

I was mistaken it has a 3 day inspection period.

@1General_Grant, if you do buy that Charleville, then do get some flints to have on hand to make sure it sparks while you have the three day trial. The Track of the Wolf Eng-8 flints are listed as the recommended size for a Charleville. Wow, the prices sure have gone up.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/141/1/flint-eng-8

If you can, get some black powder (GOEX, Schuetzen) 2Fg or 3Fg, no substitute black powder (Pyrodex, 777, et al), to use if you can get to the range to fire off a few rounds.

With the larger military sized lock, the coarser powder will work in the pan.

Even if you don't buy that gun, get some supplies so you can check out the gun you do eventually buy.

@1General_Grant, if you do buy that Charleville, then do get some flints to have on hand to make sure it sparks while you have the three day trial. The Track of the Wolf Eng-8 flints are listed as the recommended size for a Charleville. Wow, the prices sure have gone up.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/141/1/flint-eng-8

If you can, get some black powder (GOEX, Schuetzen) 2Fg or 3Fg, no substitute black powder (Pyrodex, 777, et al), to use if you can get to the range to fire off a few rounds.

With the larger military sized lock, the coarser powder will work in the pan.

Even if you don't buy that gun, get some supplies so you can check out the gun you do eventually buy.

Was looking at those flints yesterday, should I just get some cheap leather for cushioning the flint?

Where's a good place to buy black powder?

@1General_Grant,

You will want soft supple leather with a bit of cushion. A lot of cheap leather will do.

Finding powder can be more of a problem. I like Graf's and Sons in Mexico. Missouri. I can't justify suggesting you buy 4 pounds of powder at this stage in your experience. You might try Traveler's Antiques and Trading in Claude, Texas. There may be other vendors closer to you where you can buy one pound of powder. One pound would be enough for up to 80 shots with a modest load.

Hopefully, some Forum members from Texas will help you out.

@1General_Grant,

You will want soft supple leather with a bit of cushion. A lot of cheap leather will do.

Finding powder can be more of a problem. I like Graf's and Sons in Mexico. Missouri. I can't justify suggesting you buy 4 pounds of powder at this stage in your experience. You might try Traveler's Antiques and Trading in Claude, Texas. There may be other vendors closer to you where you can buy one pound of powder. One pound would be enough for up to 80 shots with a modest load.

Hopefully, some Forum members from Texas will help you out.

Haven't found anyone near by that sells black powder.

I was only going to buy one pound seeing as I don't shoot too often.

Do you think some cheap leather off Amazon would work ok?

@1General_Grant, at half cock is the leading edge of the flint about 1/8" from the face of the frizzen? Have the moving parts of the lock been lubricated? Is the flint positioned in the jaws to scrape the frizzen or bash it? Is the frizzen testing on the flint or has the flint stopped the scrape before the frizzen flips open?

First step is to adjust the position of the flint. Then report your observations back to us. The lock may need a bit of polishing and lubrication on the moving parts. No metal removal, just removal of any burs and rough spots where parts meet or rotate.

Last edited:
@1General_Grant, at half cock is the leading edge of the flint about 1/8" from the face of the frizzen? Have the moving parts of the lock been lubricated? Is the flint positioned in the jaws to scrape the frizzen or bash it? Is the frizzen testing on the flint or has the flint stopped the scrape before the frizzen flips open?

First step is to adjust the position of the flint. Then report your observations back to us. The lock may need a bit of polishing and lubrication on the moving parts. No metal removal, just removal of any burs and rough spots whets parts meet or rotate.
Haven't lubricated or polished yet, but I will. I've tried moving the flint around too. See video below

Attachments

• IMG_0.mp4
    1.1 MB
It's as is,
Then your purchase price should reflect that. I would offer $400 less than asking price - if the seller says no then I'd pass on the gun but it's your money do as you please.

Well my comment is moot now so enjoy your musket ___.

Last edited:
@1General_Grant, it appears to me that the flint is striking the frizzen directly and is bashing against the steel. The geometry of the flint to frizzen is off a bit. There is a simple adjustment to try. I would find a frizzen width piece of leather lacing or a frizzen length of bamboo skewer to place under the back edge of the flint to raise the back and lower the leading edge for more of a scraping of the frizzen when the lock is swinging through its arc. It certainly has demonstrated that the frizzen is properly hardened to make sparks when struck by a sharp flint.

The last thirty years or so I have delt with one of the big Auction houses.

Big name makers at fair prices to me as it seems ML shooters are very frugal. I spend time looking for what I want then Cll the Auction house and have them have the gun in hand. They will answer all questions you have. I then will place an online bid at the amount I want to pay, remember buyer's premium.

My best purchases have been made this way. [1/2 or less the retail most pay.]

Think I am a shyster? Anyone can out bid me as I NEVER over bid.

I did this for making money in my shop and to enhance my own collection

Then your purchase price should reflect that. I would offer $400 less than asking price - if the seller says no then I'd pass on the gun but it's your money do as you please.

Well my comment is moot now so enjoy your musket ___.

I was wrong it came with a 3 day inspection period, sparks just fine, though lock could use some work.

Back