• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loose balls in bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"This solution below isn't historically correct, but I gave it a try anyway.'

It would not surprise me if a drawing or description or even the item itself were to turn up in the future, I can invision a NA infuenced one that is shaped maybe a bit more bird like maybe an Eagal head, neat idea, its cool.

paulvallandigham said:
I have had the bag spill its contents, once in my car, where it took forever to recover all the lead balls that managed to find ways to fall down more cracks than I knew existed in that car!
Durn it Paul ... you JINXED me!

I was 'running low' so I put (100) frommy stash into a small 'shot type bag' ... but had no tie on hand, so I just placed the bag on the front seat. Some nitwit pulled out in front of me, causing severe brakage ... and 62 roundballs went ALL OVER the front passenger side of the car ...

Quite the racket bouncing off the Dutch Oven that was on that side of floor of the car ...

Same here. I sometimes carry a few extras in the bag, but it depends on the bag. If it's harder leather, they roll around and make too gosh darned much noise. Soft bags, no prob.

That is a nice piece of work, Pletch, and a heck of an idea. I think I will try one, and use it to augment my 5 ball block. I think it beats the heck out of loose balls. Not that I am likely to need more than one on a day of hunting, but I have always habitually carried extra.

Loose round balls in hunting bag just does not seem like a good idea. There are round ball holders, dedicated to holding and easily dispensing round balls. Aside from the time it takes to find them in the bag if they are loose, they also can pick up leaves, lint, etc and even if it does not present a problem I would imagine if I was needing to get a second shot off the last thing I want to be doing is placing a ball on a patch on the muzzle and having to decide weather the lint or leaf attached to the RB is a problem or not. I vote for no loose round balls in a hunting bag. That said, I do not know about you guys but when I hunt I do NOT need a bunch of munitions. When I bow hunt I have 3 arrows, when I hunt for deer with a muzzleloader I take 3 round balls with me in addition to the one in the rifle. More than that is just simply not needed. Sure I have more at home or at camp but no need to carry more than I would ever need.

For hunting, I think a ball block is more practical and faster to use. As for loose balls in the bag, I always seem to have a ball bag open in my main bag when I'm out target shooting. It's no biggy. They shoot just as well, but fishing around for them in the bag isn't something I'd want to do if I needed to load a followup shot in a hurry.

And Pletch, ya need to scrim some eyes and nostrils on that thing! I saved a copy of the pic because that just inspired all sorts of ideas in my mind.

Plink said:
snips
And Pletch, ya need to scrim some eyes and nostrils on that thing! I saved a copy of the pic because that just inspired all sorts of ideas in my mind.

I gave thought to that. I have a couple of others that I can experiment with. I have one made many years ago that has a flat plug like a regular horn. It was made to sit on a loading bench. That one has "eyes".
Regards,
Pletch

Use a ball bag in the possibles bag for extra or loaner ammo. For starting out, I use two ball blocks with lubed patches and .490 RB hung around the neck with my Ted Cash capper. Makes for pretty quick reloading, and quite usefull in a woods-walk.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dave

I haven't used this set up yet, but this is how I will carry my RB's:

loading-block_1.jpg

I have one of these and this seems the way to go. Call it an antique speed loader.

I think balls should be carried in a ball or shot pouch.

That way after you have marched for weeks thru the wilds of Maine and Southern Canada you too can say,
"No one can imagine who hath not experienced it, the sweetness of a roasted shot-pouch to the famished appetite."
(Morison journal written during Benedict Arnold's march towards Quebec.)

How historically correct can you be?

I put my ball bag on a diet this year, I really do like it better this way, saves a lot of space in the pouch.

DSC00625.jpg

As you guys sound like more of a pre 1860 type of setup the small bag sounds the best way.
Me, I do civ war reenacting so I carry a 53' 3 band Enfield - (got to use it both ways hunting and reenacting). I make up cartridges like they did- powder and ball, in a paper sleeve I use the paper as the patch. Then I have a nice cap pouch holding my caps (hence the name). takes just a few seconds to reload. You were expected to fire 3 rounds per minute during the Civ war.I don't have much call to fire that fast that many times when out in the woods. But know I can do it if the time calls for it.

Rafsob said:
I haven't used this set up yet, but this is how I will carry my RB's:

loading-block_1.jpg

I have one of these and this seems the way to go. Call it an antique speed loader.

That's what I use. You can hang 'em on your neck, horn strap, in sheaths, or just loose in the bag. The one under my horn is identical to yours (a maple block from Track of the Wolf) but I added one more hole and stained it.

IM000565a.jpg

HPIM1010.jpg

Some events require you to load with loose components "from the bag" but otherwise a ball block is the way to go IMHO.

Latest posts

Back