• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GP Pistol for first build?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan97526

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I want to build one of Don Stith's Hawkens, but I am afraid I lack the necessary experience to do so successfully. I'm fairly handy, but I'm not so sure that "fairly handy" would suffice. :wink:

On the other hand, I don't wish to put limited resources towards building something less than what I really want.

I think I may have hit on a compromise, and wish to solicit opinion. It appears to me that the construction on the Great Plains pistol is similar to the Hawken kits, judging on outward appearances. While I realize that the level of work and skill required for the GPP is far less than one of Stith's or TOTW's kits, I have the hope that the Lyman kit might provide enough experience to at least have a good chance to build one of the Hawkens well.

Can anyone comment on my idea?

Thanks,

Dan

Comparison ? Like apples to oranges.....

The Lyman is an Assembly Kit.. You can build it on the kitchen table with a piece of sand paper, a small 8 mil file, an exacto knife & about 8 hrs labor.

The Hawken parts set is a bunch of parts to build a rifle with. Not even in the same league......

IMHO, a Hawken is definately Not a beginners kit. Now Dons parts set is an excellent set, but it is not a beginner set.

I suggest you start with a Lyman GPR kit, then go to a NC Poorboy or TN Mtn. rifle or a Lancaster for the next build. Easier rifle to build & a lot better rifle to start out with. You start out with too hard a build & you will get discouraged & end result is $900-1000 in a $250 rifle......
:hmm:

If you need a pistol and want to get a taste, go for the GPP. Not a bad "start" at all, IMHO. My first project was a Lyman Great Plains rifle, and I went on from there.

True enough, you won't get to experience or practice doing everything you will need to do for a "parts build". Look at Mike Brook's tutorial or get one of the books or CD's to get an idea on what you are in for before plunking down $600-$800 for a parts build on a blank or precarve.

But you will still learn a lot, and have a fine shooting, reasonably priced pistol when you are done.

Well now this may put the cat in among the pidgeons so to say, but here goes!
As a first build i bought a hawken parts set from Pecatonica, now sure i made mistakes, things that could have been better. But i finnised up with a brown furniture, non fancy, working percussion rifle that holds its head high, folk say they like it (then i suppose they would). All builders even the top bananas say that they could have built it better if i had only just done this or that. Dont forgrt this is not rocket science. Yes you have to have a brain in your head to work stuff out and when your not sure you get on here and tap into the brains of others who are brilliant at helping with the written word. Be warned!!! you may, as other better men than me, not be satisfied with your first build because you see the faults. Sooo you persuade the wife / yourself to buy another cos you can do better. Now buying just one more cos you can do better suddenly becomes a collection (not sure where the crosover point is, probarbly immediately after the first) now your hooked. No school for muzzleloaders/builders anonymous. No sympathy here. Your Bu@@erd mate.
Go and enjoy many regards
Dobson

Building a pistol takes just about as much work as building a long gun. If you really want to learn, you could buy a blank stock and the parts for a pistol. By the time you get done, you will be experienced. Buy a cheap block of wood. If you screw up too bad, you are just out the cost of the wood and the labor. The metal parts can be used for another try.

Many Klatch

The Lyman is an Assembly Kit.. You can build it on the kitchen table with a piece of sand paper, a small 8 mil file, an exacto knife & about 8 hrs labor.

Well, 8 hours is a bit of an understatement, but it makes the point. A true beginner would take quite a bit more than 8 hours; an experienced builder could finish one in about that time.

However, an experienced builder wouldn't take just 8 hours slapping it together so the trigger works; they'd take 40 to 80 hours and build a very nice, well fitting and very good looking gun. Spending time on the details to get it to a state one could be proud of. Pride of workmanship, you see.

That's the appeal of the 'assembly kits'; the beginner can learn and practice the finishing touches by spending time as well as getting the basics down right with minimal investment of money. Once you're satisfied with the results of your ability and want a challenge, move up to the 'bag of parts' level.

I don't think you will learn the necessary skills to tackle one of Don's kits by starting with a Lyman kit.

I might suggest a Fowler or Poor Boy squirrel rifle from Track or Pec or some such supplier. Get the cheapest piece of wood you can and give it a whack.

Fowler's and PB's were often made with plain wood, often without much carving and frills.

A good smoothie will see many years in the woods so being a little rough is no big deal.

A poor boy or mountian rifle are really cool and tend to really grow on you.

That being said - If you have a catastrophic failure you can get another blank for $90-$150 and try it again.

With the price of new guns what they are you can take two maybe 3 shots at it and still come out OK.

Keep in mind, all of us had doubts about the first build - Go SLOW - Realize from get go there are going to be mistakes - Realize from the start that ANY mistake can be fixed.

The other thing I would offer is : Never, never sell your first gun, your first build is something very special and cannot be replaced.

Right now if it turns out a little rough you might not be the proud Papa you hoped to be, but twenty years from now when you pick up that first gun it will make you smile and you will remember every Oops and slip of the chisel with much pride.

IMHO

I don't think you will learn the necessary skills to tackle one of Don's kits by starting with a Lyman kit.
Nor did I say it would. An assembly kit will not teach all the necessary skills to complete a 'bag of parts' kit. It will, however, demonstrate the basic abilities that one will need to master to move on to more challenging work. You will see, for example, the intricacies of inletting a lock that a blank staring you in the face cannot show.

You start with what you can do, and you hunger for doing better once you tire of that. Starting too high builds frustration - yes, I screwed up that stock and now I have to spend more money to see if I can do better. Why bother, since I can't do well enough... Bad idea. Yes, you can spend the money and start over. But, will you want to?

Your very first one should be a simple one. One that, if you have the ability, you can customize enough to take pride in, and if you don't have the ability, one that at least won't scare you away from trying again and learning as you go.

I did not learn to walk by running a sprint race or learn to pilot an airplane in an F-16.

One things for sure dan.
If you buy and build one of those pistol kits you will have no chance of escaping from the builders bug.
You will just "have" to build a rifle (or two, or three :grin:)

Yes, building the pistol will give you some feeling about how the pieces relate to one another and how to finish a piece of bare wood so that it looks far better than anything you could get from a factory.
It will also give you a sense of accomplishment that will never be lost so, I say buy and build the pistol. You will be glad you did. :)

mykeal said:
Nor did I say it would. An assembly kit will not teach all the necessary skills to complete a 'bag of parts' kit. It will, however, demonstrate the basic abilities that one will need to master to move on to more challenging work. You will see, for example, the intricacies of inletting a lock that a blank staring you in the face cannot show.

You start with what you can do, and you hunger for doing better once you tire of that. Starting too high builds frustration - yes, I screwed up that stock and now I have to spend more money to see if I can do better. Why bother, since I can't do well enough... Bad idea. Yes, you can spend the money and start over. But, will you want to?

Your very first one should be a simple one. One that, if you have the ability, you can customize enough to take pride in, and if you don't have the ability, one that at least won't scare you away from trying again and learning as you go.

I did not learn to walk by running a sprint race or learn to pilot an airplane in an F-16.

Well said, I agree.

If you haven't built before and are a little nervous, start with a simple "kit" and put as much attention and effort into it as you can.
Don't worry if it takes 8 hours or 8 months. The important thing is to learn from it.
In the end, you'll have better confidence and the understanding to go on to a more complex build, and a nice pistol as well. :thumbsup:

Wow, thanks! A lot of helpful and well thought-out input here.

This discussion has brought up a few more questions in my mind, and the consideration of what I would choose for a first parts kit.

Back