• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR and Trade rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, all things taken into consideration I ordered the .50 Trade rifle. I'm really looking forward to getting into and learning about the sport. I'm sure this won't be my last muzzle loader.

Mick,

You got that right. I have a ML that I bought a number of years ago and never shot. Joined a club and shot it and now I have 7 or 8 of them, they just grew in number very quickly. :shocked2:

The trade rifle will do you well.
There really isn't all that much difference between it and GPR except price and cosmetics.

I bought the Lyman .50 Trade Rifle percussion last winter and finally got around to shooting it this late summer early fall. It shot very well out of the box. A minor rear sight adjustment and I have her shooting 2-3" groups at 50 yards. I took a buck with last weekend at right around 60 yards.
I use .490 round ball with .15 patch. I am going to try the .18 patch to see if that helps tighten the group up a bit.

Congrats on your choice.I think for what your lookin to do with the rifle the .50 is the right choice. :wink:

I am new to the reenactment part of black powder, what period would the Lyman Trade Rifle percussion put a feller in?

1830-1865.

Roughly the mid Rocky Mountain trapper thru the California Gold rush and the Civil War.

Before all you Hawken lovers start to pounce on me, I feel totally safe in saying that not all of the Mountain Men had Hawkens. In fact, most did not have them.

The half stock rifles became very popular during the period I mentioned.

Percussion rifles became very popular during this period as well.

There were half stock rifles that only had one barrel wedge holding the barrel onto the stock during this period.

All of the reenactors of the Mountain Men I know (except for a very few who think that only the Hawken was used) accept guns like this as being Period Correct in their get together's.

Their only real and justifiable objection will be the adjustable sights if the gun has them.

When you say adjustable sights are you talking about the dove tail sights that can be slid back and forth or the elevation adjustment sights?

Dovetailed sights are fine. That's the way almost all of the originals were made.

I was speaking about adjustable rear sights that are adjustable for elevation and come on a variety of new factory made guns.

If your gun doesn't have a adjustable rear sight, my comment would not apply to your gun. :)

Back