• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lyman gpr for rendevouz

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys thanks for all the advice. im from lapeer. ill let you all no what gun i get.

Denny, Some real good clubs up your way. You've got Attica to your east, you've got Columbiaville to your north and Linden to your west. Get together with some of the folks from them and start having some fun. You can find contact information in the MSMLA shoot schedule.

Rick

killer said:
This is my first post here so let me start by saying what a great sight you all have here. I was into rendevouzs alot when i was young, but got married had kids and you no. I sold my custom flinter and all my gear, but thinking about takeing my 12 year old son to a few local shoots this year. I gave my son my springfield hawkin 50. its a great shooter, and he loves it. I was thinking of a lyman great plains rifle 54. in a flintlock, how many guys use them at shoots? and how do they hold up? im currently unemployed and getting ready to back to college to change careers, so money is an object. I would love another custom but its just not in the cards right now. I think i have enough stuff around to sell or trade for a used gpr what do you all think? thanks denny

I would not worry about the GPR at rendezvous.
Anyone who would tell you its not correct has not looked at enough original rifles.
This unfired but shelfworn Connestoga Rifle Works (Leman) rifle was made in 1840 and it certainly not what many would expect a "mountain man" to have.
capbox.jpg

Since this rifle is obviously "right" for the era so is the GPR and the Browning Mtn rifle and many others that are "less refined" than a high quality rifle of the period or a high end modern custom rifle. Less refined does not mean its not reasonably HC for use at re-enactments.
Many writings mention Mountain Man Joe Meek with a Hawken rifle but the only surviving rifle attributed to him is a plain "unsophisticated" rifle, with a two piece forestock and back action lock.
Make sure your son wears shooting glasses. I would also make sure the nipple is a tight fit in the drum.
If the drum does not contact the lock plate with the rifle assembled I would find a way to make sure its supported. Lack of support can cause the drum to fatigue and break off. BTDT.

Dan

k---

I don't know if you are into wood work, however, what I have found to make new guns look more authentic/more refined/older is I refinish the guns as soon as I get them. I use Alkanet root stain alcohol based with dark walnut to get the deep red colour that most old guns have and then I use many layers of hand rubbed tung oil, and then buff with pumice and rotten stone.... the results make any gun look even better. I did this to my last pedersoli flintlock and nearly everyone who sees it says wow is this a real (1805-ish) gun? It does not cost much at all to do, but the end result is terrific.

Hey guys
OK look these are awesome rifles to say the least both my son (his is a fifty) and I (mine is a fifty four) carry these in flints.. wesome simply awesome but to be honest not a real reproduction.. just awesome rifles.
my best regards
just a "loyalist Dawg" :hatsoff:

Back