• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Trade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripmyfly

32 Cal.
Reaction score
flinter003ha1.jpg

Traded a old inline & scope for this 50 cal GPR today. This is my entry into your addiction. Heck, even the wife thought is was pretty. I think I will have to brown the barrel.

Welcome Rip, You made a fine trade which you will see when you go to the range :thumbsup: Good Luck & Good Shootin' :hatsoff:

ripmyfly said:
Traded a old inline & scope for this 50 cal GPR today. This is my entry into your addiction. Heck, even the wife thought is was pretty. I think I will have to brown the barrel.

Good for you. :thumbsup:

You are an inspration to all, if Darth Vader can cross back over from the "dark side", so can other inline shooters. :rotf:

WELCOME ripmyfly

Glad to have you here. :)

Be prepared for the negative reaction from your wife if you brown the barrel and other steel furniture.

I've often recieved comments like, "Why do you want to ruin every pretty thing you get by making it all ugly? I like the nice blue color a lot better than I like that ugly old brown color that is on all of your guns!"

You've been forewarned. :grin:

Zonie said:
Be prepared for the negative reaction from your wife if you brown the barrel and other steel furniture.

That's better than my wife calling my shooting bag a purse! :haha:

welcome to the forum! Never thought I'd say this, but it looks like those I/L's ARE good fer somethin'! Great trade!

LMAO!!!! i gotta know, do you feel bad about rippin this guy off? you got one hell of a good rifle! and a rock crusher too! hot damn! bear in mind these things are worse than peanuts, you cant stop at just 1. heck i started 1 year ago and ive been building ever sense. but my point here is, there is another option to blueing and browning. in a word "VINIGER" take a look at mine, when i built it i wanted something different than what everybody else had, and guess what this is what an original woulda looked like after a few years of use. "browning" was only an option.

karwelis
GPR002.jpg

GPR001.jpg

karwelis said:
...... heck i started 1 year ago and ive been building ever sense. but my point here is, there is another option to blueing and browning. in a word "VINIGER" take a look at mine, when i built it i wanted something different than what everybody else had, and guess what this is what an original woulda looked like after a few years of use. "browning" was only an option.

karwelis

Karwelis,
Tell me more about the "Vinegar Treatment"?

what i did was take the barrel with nothing attached and the threaded wholes got filled with vasoline to protect the threads, then cut up a couple of tshirts into 6" wide strips soaked in white viniger and let soak for a couple of days. i also checked every couple of hours to make shure the rags were wet. and i left it in the sun. i would also rotate 90 degrees every few hours. then burnished with 0000 steel wool and viniger, then wipe down with the oil of your choice. if you have any questions pm me for my #

So you basically took a barrel that was "in the white" and covered it with rags that were soaked with a mild acetic acid? Do you have a close up pic of the finish? I'm in the emarket for a Lyman kit to get my feet wet before I order an expensive buch of parts from Chambers... Probably go rust blue on that one, but who lnows when I will actualy be able to order the Chambers kit.

Just re-read my post above and meant to say that I would brown the Chambers Kit build (try to be as close to correct as possible on that one), but would be open to a rust blue or some other for the Lyman "first effort".... That finish is interesting and looks decent. How does it hold up and wht do you do to maintain it? Seems like all you would need to do is to oil it down every so often.

Yes, just wipe it down the same as you whould do any blued finish- As Karwelis said- the pics dont do it justice :hatsoff:
My GPR 54

T1.jpg

T3.jpg

Hockeyref said:
Just re-read my post above and meant to say that I would brown the Chambers Kit build (try to be as close to correct as possible on that one), but would be open to a rust blue or some other for the Lyman "first effort".... That finish is interesting and looks decent. How does it hold up and wht do you do to maintain it? Seems like all you would need to do is to oil it down every so often.

got a new flash for you! lol,,,,,,browning was an option that you paid more for back in the day. alot of guns had the barrel left in the white, and some got the viniger treatment. believe it or not more guns were built back then this way than browned

Back