• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Trade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't know any better.... I thought that browning was the standard finish of that time period....Never occurred to me that they would leave it in the white just let it rust, but then again, the finishes are really just controlled rusting. :hmm:

See, I learned something today.... :thumbsup: I do kinda like the vinegar finish 'mo better that browning.....

well it does age well, and finger prints are a none issue! i couldnt be happier with the viniger on my rifles! oh yeah here is the best bit, if by strange reason you dont like it a lite sanding and voila! its in the white again, and then you can do what ever. all your out is 1 tshirt, and $1 in viniger, and a little time

karwelis said:
well it does age well, and finger prints are a none issue! i couldnt be happier with the viniger on my rifles! oh yeah here is the best bit, if by strange reason you dont like it a lite sanding and voila! its in the white again, and then you can do what ever. all your out is 1 tshirt, and $1 in viniger, and a little time

SWEET! :thumbsup:

I'm sold, gonna try it out on my first build up....

karwelis said:
got a new flash for you! lol,,,,,,browning was an option that you paid more for back in the day. alot of guns had the barrel left in the white, and some got the viniger treatment. believe it or not more guns were built back then this way than browned

Can you elaborate on this? I have not seen references to this in the literature. :confused:

The period Brit gun makers used aqua fortis to brown the barrels. They also wrapped aqua fortis soaked string around barrels to fake a wrapped barrel.

Many people use mustard now cause it is a paste and stays wet longer and goes on more even.

wow this is gonna be a tuffy to answer, cuz i think it was don getz and jim chambers that were talking about it. and i was not talkig about "brit" gun makers. it was American gun makers that did this. oh and as far as using mustard, or any paste that has viniger in it, um good luck with that, it will eat threads. this is why you dont see more guns like mine. i figured out exactly how they did things like this back in the day.

karwelis said:
i figured out exactly how they did things like this back in the day.

Congratulations.

Makes me feel like I'm wasting my time in museum collections and reading the original docs. :surrender:

Now, back to our topic.

Pichou said:
karwelis said:
i figured out exactly how they did things like this back in the day.

Congratulations.

Makes me feel like I'm wasting my time in museum collections and reading the original docs. :surrender:

Now, back to our topic.

maybe you are wasting your time. ive done the same thing, museums, archives, and such. then working my but off in my shop putting to use the knowledge that i gained. :blah:

Back