• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MADE A ANTLER POWDER MEASURE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HARDCORE

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had a little spare time yesterday and decided to do something with the 4 point rack from the 1 and 1\2 year old buck i shot in the last few days of the last years rifle season. I know it's a small rack but you can marinate those antlers for a year and they still won't taste good :wink:
I used a small drill bit and my good old dremel tool. I drilled out a little at a time until i got exactly 50 grains of goex 2f powder to fit flush with the top. I cut the top at an angle to get sort of a pouring lip i guess you can call it.

HARDCORE

Image010-1.jpg

Image003.jpg

Image008-2.jpg

Nice job on the measure, are you going to market for you now what it is?

Cool pics. I saw one like it in a book I have that I am going to make too. Nice work. I wish we where back in the 1800's...so many cool things to make..

Thanks guys,

I'm going to try and find a small engraving tip for my Dremel tool to engrave my initials and the grain capacity. When i get some time I'm going to try and make either a 85 or 90 grain measure.

HARDCORE

HARDCORE said:
When i get some time I'm going to try and make either a 85 or 90 grain measure./quote]

Hardcore,
Why????To burn powder???Certainly
not to shoot paper..Even deer hunting does not
require at the most 80grns/max.IMHO At least at the ranges I hunt deer at. I use 60grns in my
45cal and 70grns in my .50cal. Both have been and are deadly at 50yds+/-,10yds.
I could be wrong here,but I don't think many
deer hunters use 90grns.If so,why?????

snake-eyes said:
HARDCORE said:
When i get some time I'm going to try and make either a 85 or 90 grain measure./quote]

Hardcore,
Why????To burn powder???Certainly
not to shoot paper..Even deer hunting does not
require at the most 80grns/max.IMHO At least at the ranges I hunt deer at. I use 60grns in my
45cal and 70grns in my .50cal. Both have been and are deadly at 50yds+/-,10yds.
I could be wrong here,but I don't think many
deer hunters use 90grns.If so,why?????

I shoot 50 grains of powder for punching holes in paper at 25 yards which is the reason why I made this measure for 50 grains. But for a hunting load I get the best shot group with 85-90 grains of Goex 2f powder with the patch and ball combo that I've been shooting out of my .54 Lyman GPR. Also I feel that I'll get acceptable penetration on the size deer and black bear that we have in New York with this amount of powder.

Looks good Hardcore. :thumbsup: I've got some small horns that the dog chewed sittin on my bench and I've been wantin to make a knife handle or measure out of em. Seeing yours might just get me off my arse. :wink: GW

Back