• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making an Awl

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paco97

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to make an awl, Ive got some antler for the handle, but what would you all recommend for the actual awl.

Depending on what size you are wanting, if you can find an old square nail that ain't all buggered up, those work well. You can always get a regular nail and file it square, although the new ones in my opinion ain't nearly as hard as the old ones.

Tony

I use the long spring from old pocket knives for
my awls. File the handle end to a point first and drive it into a piece of antler. Then I file the awl point. Remember to hand file. Grinding may overheat and ruin the spring's temper. I work
with rawhide and my awls have punched thousands
of holes.

pACO97 i USE A NUT PICK, STRAIGHTEN THE END, PUT THE OTHER IN ANTLER. tHE SHOULDER IS HANDY TO ENLARGE THE HOLES DILLY

I just used a long nail with the head cut off. Drilled a hole in the antler and tapped the nail into the hole with a little superglue/epoxy. Shaped the awl portion with a file. This is for my heavy-duty awl. The lighter duty model is a piece of sharpened harness needle set in an antler tip.

I forge them from spring steel so the shaft that will go in the antler is about 1/8" in diameter then it tapers gradually to a tip that is tapered more radically fo it has a tronger tip. It's good to file the working shaft perfectly square and they make holes much easier. I harden and temper mine to spring temper so there is no danger of breaking. Such an awl will readily srart holes in wood, etc as well as really sliding into leather.

Try a garage door opening coil spring. Straighten it out and you have lots of stock.

I do the double dog leg so that you can have a rounded end and a diamond end for different uses.

CS

I made mine out of an old ice pick. Filed the point from round in cross section to diamond shape. It's been my favorite awl for years now. I use it for saddle stitching everything that needs saddle stitched.

Concrete nails take a better temper than common nails. Soften one with a propane torch (heat to cherry red and then allow it to air cool). File it to shape and then retemper (heat as before and quench in oil or water). Epoxy into a piece of antler.

Mike Ameling - who posts here - makes traditional style straight and zigzag trade awls. The zizgag styles are nice because they won't push deeper into the handle during use.

Another option is to buy an harnes//saddler's awl blade from any of the major leather craft vendors - these are diamond shaped and hardened - they come in various lengths - IMO shorter is better for most sewing.

The zig zag design commonly has another feature. It will generally have both ends pointed -- one round and another diamond.

CS

Gray Wolf said:
Mike Ameling - who posts here - makes traditional style straight and zigzag trade awls. The zizgag styles are nice because they won't push deeper into the handle during use.

Another option is to buy an harnes//saddler's awl blade from any of the major leather craft vendors - these are diamond shaped and hardened - they come in various lengths - IMO shorter is better for most sewing.

DO you have any contact info for Mike maybe email or website?

Back