• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making Powderhorns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefcj

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am interested in making my own powderhorn and wondered if anyone out there would have a suggestion for resources to get going. I do not really know the first thing about it as I am new to the sport but I would like a good winter project and something to call my own when I am in the woods or on the range.

Thanks

CJ

I would suggest getting the Sibley book "Recreating the 18th Century Powderhorn". I had no experience whatsoever and, using the book, was able to craft a very nice horn on my first attempt. It's available from Track of the Wolf for about $20.

mike

I second Mike's motion on that book, I got it, and used it to make the hons that I have. Color you have to figure out what you like, but the book is good.

Preacher

Horn5.jpg

newhorn012.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into the book and will let you know how it goes and try to get a pic when done.

While you are waiting on that book to arrive, take a look at this:
[url] http://www.nmroyalrangers.org/FCF/making_a_powder_horn.htm[/url]

Where this site suggests using acrylic paints, I think most guys are using fabric dye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks much for the web address. I hope to get started in the new year.Hope you have a great Christmas and thanks again.

You also might want to purchase a copy of ron Ehlerts powder video. Its a very good resource especially in the scrimshaw deppt.

I recently also made my first horn without the benefit of a book or somebody to tell me what to do. I checked out both the abovementioned websites. I note that you only scrape till the horn is smooth. I continued and scraped away all the "gummy" horn till I got to the more fibrous horn lying underneath. I got to the point where one could see the grain as it goes down the length of the horn. The colours also looked better to me than the more yellow stuff on top. Were I supposed to go so deep? My horn is very thin, but still feels strong to me. I will try to take a picture tomorrow.

Some of the original horns were scraped thin enough to see how much powder was in the horn through it. I've made a number of horns, and have found that every horn is different, and you need to work with what the horn gives you. Also, TOTW has their "ugly" horns which are cheap and make great, expendable practice pieces.

Thanks for the input, I am moving to my new house this weekend but hope to start this project in the next week following. I will keep you informed as to how it all goes.
:grin:

Thanks. I don't get much for time to add to it, but once in while I'll get something new in there.

Tony

I found Ehlerts video kinda dry. It is good information for someone who wants to make their first horn, or for someone who wants to learn scrim.

That said, the DVD can be rented here.[url] http://technicalvideorental.com/how_it_works.html[/url]

J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back