• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matchlock caliver/musket build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up a wood slab and have an octagon to round 20 gauge barrel. There was no wood with the right grain for a petronel, so I am trying to decide between building something based off of one of these two:
5CE98D21-8D5F-4ED3-9BE9-B41B8A29951F.jpeg

3DC5246A-BABA-42FE-A4C0-B24A53E57435.jpeg

Both are roughly the same length.

The bottom one looks easier to make, but the top one has a more iconic stock shape.

Any suggestions on which to pick, if it’s my first full build (besides my hackenbusche kit)?

Last edited:
TobJohn:

Personally I love the fishtail stock. I have a few Matchlocks and a Snaphaunce with that type of stock and I find it handles the recoil very well.
That’s what I decided on. I figured I might as well choose the one I like the most and it being harder doesn’t really matter if I already need to learn as I go.

Did you build yours or are they from other builders/kits?

TobJohn:

Mine were built by builders Leonard Day (.72 Snaphaunce), John Buck (.75 and .83 Matchlocks), and Jurgen Kreckle (.72 Matchlock). Best of luck with yours! Looking forward to seeing her finished!

John,
If a bit undecided still, look through Michaels old posts and see what style grabs our attention.
some will not be possible with the barrel you have, but for slightl y later matchlocks you still have a lot of choice!
I used an oct to round 20 bore barrel on that one of mine you have seen. (fishtail)
making the decision is half the fun!

John,
If a bit undecided still, look through Michaels old posts and see what style grabs our attention.
some will not be possible with the barrel you have, but for slightl y later matchlocks you still have a lot of choice!
I used an oct to round 20 bore barrel on that one of mine you have seen. (fishtail)
making the decision is half the fun!
I’ve now decided. Started mocking up the general dimensions this morning. A fishtail seems more appropriate for my barrel profile. The one I am basing it off of has an octagon barrel and no sights, but I’ve seen enough with octagon to round and sights (this is actually the only one I’ve seen WITHOUT them) that I am going to take some liberties with those features.
The Italian one is close enough to a petronel that I will just wait until I find a good piece of wood for an actual petronel.

Forgot the better pictures and dimensions
Hermann Historica

Last edited:
B4A6AFF9-5EE5-4881-B1CB-5CFD9A8CB450.jpeg

A short buttstock length is normal for a caliver of this period, right? I believe that’s what I’ve seen online, but it’s weird seeing it in person

Last edited:
Personally I would build it to fit you.

But when I did build the copy of the alleged Mayflower/Alden wheellock, to keep the overall dimensions ‘relative to each other’, I did scale up every dimension to fit me better, as a bonus, plus to align to the size of the TRS lockplate used.

The length of pull at 12-1/2”, where the alleged original was only 10-1/2”, which would render the arm difficult to shoot at best and render it unshootable at worst, less from the cheek or hip, LOL!

Well I learned an important lesson. Just because a jigsaw can cut through the wood, doesn’t mean it will cut through straight. Luckily, I left enough space so it didn’t damage the stock outline, but a good reminder of the risks of power tools.

Well I learned an important lesson. Just because a jigsaw can cut through the wood, doesn’t mean it will cut through straight. Luckily, I left enough space so it didn’t damage the stock outline, but a good reminder of the risks of power tools.
Yes. Good thing you left some extra space on the cutout! For me, a bandsaw is more accurate, since the uni-directional blade is supported by the drive wheels top & bottom. Bit pricier tho...I used to be more authentic and hack away wood with only hand tools, but in old age will gladly accept the power assist. Hang in there, work and learn, enjoy the journey!

Yes. Good thing you left some extra space on the cutout! For me, a bandsaw is more accurate, since the uni-directional blade is supported by the drive wheels top & bottom. Bit pricier tho...I used to be more authentic and hack away wood with only hand tools, but in old age will gladly accept the power assist. Hang in there, work and learn, enjoy the journey!
I don’t have a permanent work space, so I gotta make do with portable tools. Fortunately, I have a Japanese pull saw that works very well, I just need to not be lazy.

Are fishtail guns not symmetrical in the thumb grove? I just realized that it looks like they are grooved to only fit the correct firing hand.
Nope ... it was a right-haned world back then ... and you massively mis-spoke ... whaddya mean the "correct" firing hand? As a lefty I'd bat you with my LEFT hand!

View attachment 198526
A short buttstock length is normal for a caliver of this period, right? I believe that’s what I’ve seen online, but it’s weird seeing it in person
Tob.... You're really getting into this. You're welcome to come down and study mine if you like.

Showed that photo I took of your fire ball to guys at the club Saturday. They asked if you still have eyebrows😁

Latest posts

Back