• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matchlock caliver/musket build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tob.... You're really getting into this. You're welcome to come down and study mine if you like.

Showed that photo I took of your fire ball to guys at the club Saturday. They asked if you still have eyebrowsšŸ˜
Did you take yours out? How'd your matchchord workout?

After seeing the burn marks on it, I think my hat may have protected them... probably need to bring one every time lol.

Did you take yours out? How'd your matchchord workout?

After seeing the burn marks on it, I think my hat may have protected them... probably need to bring one every time lol.
The match cord from cotton cord worked fine. The match cord from the looser woven macrame cotton "rope" worked but not as well. It did hold better in the "cock" . Didn't try the cord I made of hemp.

791A8070-9F40-4F64-93AD-8558AAFFA1B2.jpeg

I had an unusually busy couple weeks, so was only recently able to work on my caliver. Hand sawing hardwood was a rough reality check for my soft millennial hands lol.

I still need to properly saw the back foot or so of where the barrel goes (so ignore that), but do people have a preferred method for flattening the rest of that section of the stock? When sighting along the stock, the left side of the barrel section is slightly lower. There are also those little ski jumps from where I was getting the hang of positioning the saw and trying to straighten my cuts. I have a good quality plane that I can sharpen up and use.

Looking good TobJohn!
Will follow along with your build. Glad to see that you jumped right in! The only "true" way to learn is to do it.
William

Looking good TobJohn!
Will follow along with your build. Glad to see that you jumped right in! The only "true" way to learn is to do it.
William
8DA3866A-95F7-40E7-A6F5-B3DAD89558CB.png

Thanks! I figured I needed to start somewhere and even if this doesnā€™t turn out great, it will help make sure the following petronel (or whatever else I decide to make) will

I have some free time coming up, so I am going to practice wood working and start up this project again. I took some photos to help myself visualize the curved stock groove for the thumb:
5CA46903-2636-4F50-B40B-398A3CD52580.jpeg

C6895071-8337-4030-AF7E-D1FA2C475AA4.jpeg

(terrible glare)

64FF639A-8C09-4412-B638-4F3269E064DE.jpeg

414B422C-84EE-4613-B714-FA7796FE5BB4.jpeg

Attachments

• 326EBE36-A41B-4DBE-AD72-4758F6E9A0EF.jpeg
    326EBE36-A41B-4DBE-AD72-4758F6E9A0EF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
When I left off, the starboard side of the top of the stock, where the barrel will be inlet, was noticeably higher than the port side. Is this something that can just be planed flat, or is there a better way?

Back