• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

maxihunter expansion?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never hunted with any kind of conical; I've always used prb exclusively. One reason is that I'm cheap and can easily cast my own. I do have a friend who used nothing but the maxies and his deer dropped mostly fine but certainly no better than mine did.

All the deer I've killed so far have been with the .45, .50 and .54. The .45s, if memory serves me correctly, all went through and through as did the .50s & .54s. The only prbs I managed to recover were, I think, three .50 prb which were flattened out to almost double caliber. Even deer shot at 100 plus yards exhibited complete penetration.

So a prb will completely penetrate a large deer even at extended range, ditto a maxi. A prb will expand on a deer even without hitting any bone, ditto a maxi (if I understand correctly). My take, then, is that a prb gives up absolutely nothing to a conical and a conical drops deer every bit as well as a prb. Solution: Yes! Shoot what is accurate in your rifle!

Latest posts

Back