• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

misfire with percussion??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not use Bore Butter? I've been using the stuff with complete and total satisfaction since getting in to blackpowder percussion arms about the time that President Regan was inaugurated for his first term. I continue to use the stuff now on a .50 GPR, 12 bore Pedersoli double, and a Pietta 1860. I don't have issues with corrosion, inside the bore or outside of it. I don't have vexing ignition problems. I love the minty-fresh scent.

After shooting, clean-up is a breeze. Usually accomplished with nothing more high-tech than H2O, though sometimes, after long shooting sessions, I do add a little Ivory soap to the water. The metal then gets throughly dried and once dry, it gets a coating of Bore Butter.

Granted, when I lived in arid southern California, my local climate wasn't much of a test. But the same old regimine I've always used works pretty darn good out here in northeastern Oklahoma, where summer temps get into the triple digits, and the percentage of relative humidity comes darn close to doing likewise.

Before shooting, I simply make sure that the flash channels are clear, clean, and dry. Doing that doesn't take much time. In fact, it will probably take me longer to write this post than does to prep my rifle, shotgun, and revolver for shooting.

I've experimented with other non-petro stuff over the years, but honestly, I always come back to Bore Butter with zero regret. It just flat out works for me, though plain extra virgin olive oil works pretty good, too.

YMMV, and all of that. Apparently, it does.

-JP

My .02 WD40 - NO. Corrosion X - YES
CX while more expensive stops rust etc. I've used
it for years in a saltwater environ - good
stuff. Saltwater isn't dudu, but it's close. Given a choice between WD40 and CX, CX hands down. I wouldn't put WD40 on anything but my lawnmower. David

Latest posts

Back