• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Misinformation on GB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of Black Powder sellers on GunBroker that spread misinformation regarding their auctions in the description. Especially about Colt 2nd Series, F Series, Signature Series, etc. Be careful what you read there and do some research.

I've scored a couple of deals on there, walked away from several. Got 2 hard to get unmentionable handguns. Real good deals on an 1860 Army, Lyman GPR Flinter, and a T/C New Englander 12 ga./50 cal. Set. Those were all exceptions. But agree with OP.

Gun joker is verboten for me….. nothing but scammers selling on there.
That's caveat emptor. You have to learn how to filter them out. Which I've been able to do, and I've bought something like five dozen guns there with no problems. You can't generalize from one bad transaction.

I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of Black Powder sellers on GunBroker that spread misinformation regarding their auctions in the description. Especially about Colt 2nd Series, F Series, Signature Series, etc. Be careful what you read there and do some research.
Your conclusion is premature. Yes, do your research, and I think you need do more. Don't make a general conclusion based on a few instances.

I think the main problem with black powder sellers is they sometimes don't know their black powder guns. Those sellers are pretty easily filtered out of your search criteria. If their descriptions seem vague or inaccurate you simply don't bid on their auctions. It's really not that hard to avoid getting bit.

There are a good many reputable gunshops, and antique dealers (this comment also includes eBay sellers) who are quite good on modern guns, but when it comes to muzzleloaders, they have NO IDEA.

THEN you have the bone headed, knuckle dragging, booger eatin' morons, who think THEY KNOW about their gun or rifle, and part of what THEY KNOW is that it's worth an astronomical amount of money. Talk about putting the a$$ in "astronomical". I've seen guys who price their used Bess, and it looks well cared for but it's used, at the same price or within $100 of the top-dollar price of a factory made Bess. Why wouldn't I simply drop the extra $100 and get a new one with a warranty? ONE CLOWN had a Bess carbine put together by his buddy the "expert" and the "expert" FORGOT to leave room at the end for the bayonet. The stock ran right up to the muzzle. When I sent him a message about that, the guy got irate as though I told him his baby daughter was ugly.

So far I've never been burned off of Gun Broker, but some of the folks on there are completely unique characters.....

LD

Life has always had its hucksters, it just takes a different form and if you don't know what you are doing, don't play in the arena.

My first ROA was sold by a guy who did not know anything about them, but he was knowledgeable enough about guns to say he thought it was gunfired but would not guarantee it, more than fair. Obviously not his mainstay and why should it be? A lot of people wind up with guns they know nothing about.

The ones I laugh at are the ROA sellers who want $1000 for one and it never sells, they just keep relisting it.

I saw a fake bayonet go on Ebay for $400. Rare type all right but wrong grips. I only know that because I got one out of a grab bin when I was a kid!

Educate yourself, figure out what you want to pay for it and take it from there.

If it were mine, I'd take that thing out to the woods and give it some exercise, that's what it was built to do, it's a TC not a $5000.00 custom presentation piece!

That's caveat emptor. You have to learn how to filter them out. Which I've been able to do, and I've bought something like five dozen guns there with no problems. You can't generalize from one bad transaction.
Anymore, if I can’t look at it before I buy it in person I’m not bothering.

I only had ONE honest transaction on gun groper out of four. Not out a huge amount of money, but I won’t repeat the mistake.

I like it but tend to buy from the same people. Everything from muzzleloading to AR-15 stuff. I am a collector of Colt 2nd gen and signature series and it appears to be the way to go as they have a decent selection. There are good and bad everywhere.

Never good to generalize. The good dealers far outweigh the idiots, but there are plenty of idiots. I recently bought a .45 Seneca from a Florida dealer. I emailed him to request he remove the barrel from the stock before shipping. He called me... to ask how to remove the barrel as he had never seen this before. He is an FFL shop. I walked him through the 8 second process and he was like "Wow, I had no idea it was that easy.". Nice guy, but had no idea what he had. I find that from time to time on GB and Ebay. People post stuff not knowing one model from another, thinking everything is a "Hawkenssssss". Extra 's' intended there.

You know the fools that post guns for ridiculous prices. They either over value things and are too lazy to look at market prices or they actually do not want to sell anything, just get a quick high from listing it. Sometimes a seller has no idea what they have and price it way too low... their loss. Snag a bargain when you see it. Ebay is far worse with people having no idea what they have and I have actually emailed sellers to correct their misinformation when it was truly egregious. They generally reply kindly and fix their adds.

I'll list all the available details I can locate. Then post a line like this.
This is all I know.
YOU'LL FIND plenty of information to be found on the internet and in books
DO YOUR RESEARCH.

Back