• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moose!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard there was limited moose hunting in Colorado. So what's legal in your area? Certain antler size, or either sex?

Once you send in the application, erase it out of your mind until the day it's drawn, or you could go CRAZY thinking about it. :rotf: Good luck Mike, Bill.

Hey Mike, which unit are you talking about?

One of our guys had a cow moose tag two years ago. He killed a medium sized cow. He drew on his fourth attempt. Unlike deer and elk where points rule totally, with moose, after you have three points it's possible to draw. After three points you get a "weight" for each failure to draw. The more weight, the higher your probability, but that does not rule out a low weight low probability from drawing.

Hope you get a tag sometime.

Getting the tag is the biggest part of it. Where I have hunted for many years the moose are camp pests. :shocked2:

It's a really hard tag to draw. I was told that you get to kill one moose in your lifetime. I'm not sure that's true.

Bill, after scanning the brochure, I don't see any restrictons as far as points, etc. No either sex, just bull or cow. It's just exciting that they're even here. I remember someonesaying that animals were being seen, but I had not the opportunity. Last deer season I ran into a couple of hunters that said there is a rumor that the state record abides here. Time will tell, and I'm not a trophy hunter anyway. Meat!

Good luck to you Mike. I'd be excited as he.. heck to draw a moose tag. Some mighty fine eating. Believe it or not, we have a small population of moose getting a toehold in the far northeast corner of Oregon (along with those dang Ideeho wolves). Maybe someday we'll have a limited hunt.

I saw a huge bull Moose in the Fairplay area. You might try for a tag in that area Mike.

Someone quote me so Mike can read this.

I'll throw a "twist" at you that should set off your taste buds and further inspire your application.

Up here it's standard practice for folks "in the know" to carry a length of waxed paper in their hunting kit. Huh? :confused:

When you score, the first thing you do after rolling out the paunch is peel of the loose layer of fat. Locals call it "lace," and that's what it looks like.

Spread it over the nearest bush to cool and harden while you do the other chores on the moose. Once that's done roll or fold the lace in the waxed paper.

Back home, wrap a few roasts in the lace before putting them in the oven, like some folks do with bacon.

The lace is sweeter than butter, and you've just never chawed a more flavorful and tender roast in your life. Makes my mouth water just to think about it.

I have been putting in for preference points for a few years now so when they open up my unit I will be gunning for some of the trophy bulls in my area.
I called in this bull and when I stopped calling he bedded down and I low crawled in for a 10 ft picture.

DSCF2638.jpg

DSCF2650.jpg

Do you mean in Colorado? Or my hunting area?
BB, I'll try it-but I gotta get a license first.

Here Mike, this one was just over the hill from you in 28. I spotted him way back in the willows and went in for some photos. Got about 30 yards from him and decided that was close enough during the rut. :shocked2: I turned and heades back out and when I looked back from the edge of the meadow there he was, following me. Think he was just curious but i was unarmed. :)

MVC-011F.JPG

This is far from the biggest I've seen in there but it's the biggest one I got a pic of.

I don't apply for moose tags at all. Maybe will go to Canada or AK someday but am not going for a CO moose.

Heck, there is probably a bigger one in the new areas opening where they have not been hunted yet. Course what will be left by the time he draws a tag is another story all together. :haha:

Mike, if you finish that fowler in time you could put a 16 ga ball through your moose.

First, that is a really cool pic of the moose. Gets my blood moving.
Second, I'll send you a PT.

Latest posts

Back