• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moose!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marmotslayer said:
You're applying for the species. It doesn't matter if you apply for ML, rifle, or bow. The points you accumulate are good for all three ways to hunt..

Yes, the points are good and one can change what weapon is applyed for from year to year. My only point is that if I draw rifle I can decide then what weapon I want to use. At my age, current health might have a lot to do with what I hunt with.

If I did simply decide to go for archery sheep, my odds would be better in some units than for rifle. Less competition for archery sheep tags in most units. I could put in for a bow tag now and have my shoulders in bad shape by August and be unable to handle the bow. :(

I know what you're saying. I got an offer to hunt some private property a couple of days ago for next season. I'd have to use a bow and he'd supply it. I had to turn it down. My shoulder would never hold up. :(

Shine said:
Let me tell ya about me, Big Mike, Momma moose and how I got my new canoe :grin:

If it's anything like my buddy, his Super Cub on floats parked on a shallow lake, and a love crazed bull, I bet I can fill in the blanks! :rotf:

You all reminded me of the time several of us were mud riding on 4wheelers. Long story short, somebody brought a cooler full of party in a can with them and we ran up onto a loose Emu! Picture several compromised redneck youths, and a full grown Emu. Top it off with the fact that nobody knew what it was at the time.:rotf: We all lived, barely. :shocked2:

Ah man. Way off topic, but you reminded me of my favorite emu experience.

A friend tells about taking a free emu to his elderly mom's house, figuring to hold it there in her chicken yard for the day. Long story short, it got out and chased her around the locked car and locked house for about 15 laps when she came out for a trip to town.

Finally she managed to get out her keys and dive into the house, but losing her uppers somewhere in the process. She came back out with a shotgun and finished the deed, then called Mike.

With her sitting there Mike mimics her and finishes the story as he heard it over the phone before hurrying over to clean up the mess:

"Dat sumbitz tased me ah roun da houth and ade my falth teet!!! Now ged juh ath ovu heah an cud mah teet oudda hith githud tho ah can tock aggen!!!"

I've never been so close to wetting my pants as when I heard him and watched the very distinguished little white-haired lady solemnly nodding her head. :rotf:

If'n you get to go, let me know, I'm not a lot of help, but some is better than none.
Brown Bear, you kill me!! :rotf: :rotf:

If'n you get to go, let me know, I'm not a lot of help, but some is better than none.

Appreciate the offer. Might need someone to push the wheelchair! :shocked2:

Brown Bear, that is hilarious! :rotf:

When we were hunting in Texas a couple years back the ranch owner was showing us some of the videos he took on the ranch. In one, we were suddenly looking at this huge emu walking around. Then there is a gun shot and the neck falls straight over and the emu falls dead. I asked him why he shot it and he says "it was trespassin"!

They've opened my area to moose hunting!! Can't wait to get the apps in the mail!!

Hey Mike, was on a "coyote cruise" yesterday and saw three moose in unit 500. Am hearing from some bow hunter friends that they saw quite a few moose in 500 last September.

Yeah, well, I kinda had the wind taken out of my sail today. I had a carpenter come in and put crown molding on our kitchen cabinets. He's a hunter, and said his father-in-law has been putting in for seven years, and when they put in this "weight" thing, it knocked him back from front-running. I don't know how all that works, but I don't think I have enough time left to wait that long. :( Gotta think about it.

I think the same way about my sheep tag each year. But, if you think about it, it only costs you three bucks a year to try. You might get lucky like my friend who drew the 4th year! :)

the hardest part is paying full price up front for all you draw tags.
In the spring especially.
My wife and I both hunt so I now pay double for tags and with the habitate stamp( :bull: double taxation) I bet I send out three to four hundered to the DOW,sm game @ fishing,turkey,draw for my ungulates it really adds up.
I know I get my money back for undrawn tags but to have to pay up front is a real pain.

I worked with Ray at the Denver office this year. I'm pretty sure i'll get everything I applied for. Deer, elk, and bear.

I hope.

Yeah, that's right, it's a bunch of dough to lay out for tags that you won't see. Every year my wife wants to know what the &^#%^ is this 250+ on the CC for my sheep tag. Always get it back (unfortunately) but same old drill every year.

I was going over my actual license costs for last year and was a little bit surprised;

App fees added where applicable

ML elk $49
ML deer $34
Leftover deer $31
Leftover elk $46
Antelope $34
Sm game/fish $41
Habitat Stamps $10

Total $245 :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:

Was my worst year of hunting in history. All year I killed one rabbit. :rotf: :rotf:

So this year I think I'll get a bear tag and turkey tag. That'll put me over $300. :rotf: :rotf:

I know a guy here in Colorado that has been applying for a moose tag for 25 years. You can draw on your 4th. year or it may take a bit longer. For most it takes a BIT longer.

marmotslayer said:
Yeah, that's right, it's a bunch of dough to lay out for tags that you won't see. Every year my wife wants to know what the &^#%^ is this 250+ on the CC for my sheep tag. Always get it back (unfortunately) but same old drill every year.

I was going over my actual license costs for last year and was a little bit surprised;

App fees added where applicable

ML elk $49
ML deer $34
Leftover deer $31
Leftover elk $46
Antelope $34
Sm game/fish $41
Habitat Stamps $10

Total $245 :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:

Was my worst year of hunting in history. All year I killed one rabbit. :rotf: :rotf:

So this year I think I'll get a bear tag and turkey tag. That'll put me over $300. :rotf: :rotf:

Except for turkey our bill was identical times two, my wife applies for all the same tags.

Yowsa! If my wife was that interested then she would not have any comment I suppose.

She and I used to bow hunt and ml hunt together but she has not gotten a tag for about ten years. Last time she had a bow tag one of the grand kids was with her near camp and they got up real close to a doe. Grandson said later that "gramma aimed at the deer but just before she let the arrow go she aimed way to the side". :rotf:

Latest posts

Back