• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moose!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was reading the 2011 Big Game brochure. I was right. You're allowed one moose kill in your lifetime in Co.

You better enjoy it. :grin:

Knowing that would mess up my hunt real bad. I would hate to know once I dropped the hammer my hunt was done forever. I hope you get the tag Mike and have a good hunt. I have not even been close to a moose, I know they are big from reading about them. How do you get your meat out, by horse, 4wheeler or a lot of walking?

Be awares that moose head for water when hit. So you want to drop it before it gets to water because if it falls in water, you've got a real mess on your hands!

Yeah, and even if they don' reach water, they always seem to complicate your life. The problem is, they're so big your options for wrastling with them are limited.

We had one only travel about 20 yards on its way to water, but it got tangled in really thick willows as big around as your thumb and bigger, and quite tall. He was wedged more or less upright, and the willows squeezed out from under him tangled with those around them tighter than a wicker basket. We were carrying a small double-fall winch, but there was nothing to lash it to strong enough for us to move him. We finally ended up using our meat saw to do a lot of "logging." It worked, but then the saw was so dull it was almost useless.

I've never hunted Shiras moose like the ones you'd be looking at, or in the sage like I see in those pictures. Even the big bulls are smaller than what I'm used to, but still too big for moving as easy as elk. In that kind of country I'd be less worried about water and tangles, but moose being moose..... I'd figure them to cause you as much trouble as they could, and carry both a good saw and a double-fall of some sort along with a couple hundred feet of decent line, poly rather than nylon to minimize stretch.

Skylinewatcher, lots of walking.
But I may not be going, as I was in a car wreck yesterday and my hip prosthesis is hurting bad. The guy crossed the street right in front of me to go in the gas station, and didn't make it before I hit his rear wheel. I slammed on the brakes and cranked her hard left, but got him anyway.
Went to the emergency room, they took x-rays, said it's ok, but it sure hurts. I'll give it a few days, and if not better, go to my surgeon. :surrender:

You have plenty of time to heal. You'll never get a licence the first year you try.

I've been trying for 4 years and not even coming close.

Dadgum, you sure we're not kin. No, I know we're not because the guy would have hit me the day before the hunt. I hate to hear that. Look here, you concentrate on healing and we will keep you in our prayers.

I feel bad for you capper. Maybe you'll draw one soon. I don't even know how the tag process works. About the closest thing here is duck stamps. But we don't have any game like you guys have either. I do think TN. is getting elk back. Maybe they will trickle down here.

It's not a problem. Deer and elk keep me more than busy.

We have a new deal in my area. The does are becoming a problem near town. The DOW put up a doe licence in a restricted area that goes from Sept 1 to Nov 30, and you can buy as many as you want if they're available. The problem is it's too restricted and too close to homes.

The tree huggers are in an outrage and fighting it.

Getting back on topic. I'll keep trying for a moose, but I don't know how i'd get the meat out if I got one. I'll need a trailer behind my Jeep. :grin:

But I may not be going, as I was in a car wreck yesterday and my hip prosthesis is hurting bad.

Dang, sorry to hear of your misfortune, Mike. You will definetely not draw until you have three points. Once you have three points and start collecting "weights" your odds will go up with each weight.

My friend I mentioned above drew on his fourth try. That means he had no weights but did have the three points. Each weight makes you more likely to draw, but it's like the good side of Murphy's law, "if it can happen, it will". So you can draw with only three points and no weights but it is a rare occurrence that nevertheless will happen occasionally.

I'm at three points and five weights for Bighorn Sheep, but nothing yet. Maybe this is the year! :) I always put in for a rifle tag so that means rifle, ML or bow is going to be legal. My friend who drew the moose had put in for ml.

marmotslayer said:
I'm at three points and five weights for Bighorn Sheep, but nothing yet. Maybe this is the year! :) I always put in for a rifle tag so that means rifle, ML or bow is going to be legal. My friend who drew the moose had put in for ml.

You're applying for the species. It doesn't matter if you apply for ML, rifle, or bow. The points you accumulate are good for all three ways to hunt..

I called this little bull in last fall while bird hunting,for giggles. My wifes cousin had never seen a live moose up close before. The pics were taken with a cell phone :shocked2: I could have whacked him with an axe.
IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

I've seen alot of big moose in northwest Wyoming. Mike, maybe you should go hunting up there. :rotf:

Sorry about your wreck Mike. Hope it quits hurting soon. Bill

Keeping my fingers crossed for your sheep hunt. Take lots of pics. I put in for sheep and goat years ago, didn't draw year after year, and quit.
Your pics is probably the closest I'll ever get, so take lots!

Haha, they know what they look like now, we'll name him stobbs! :rotf: Are those things as mean as they say they are during rut? I've read some wild stories.

Skylinewatcher said:
Are those things as mean as they say they are during rut? I've read some wild stories.

One of the favorite pastimes up here is swapping moose-in-rut stories. But right along with war stories, bear stories and long-range shots, they never get smaller in the telling.

You're applying for the species. It doesn't matter if you apply for ML, rifle, or bow. The points you accumulate are good for all three ways to hunt..

Yes, the points are good and one can change what weapon is applyed for from year to year. My only point is that if I draw rifle I can decide then what weapon I want to use. At my age, current health might have a lot to do with what I hunt with.

If I did simply decide to go for archery sheep, my odds would be better in some units than for rifle. Less competition for archery sheep tags in most units. I could put in for a bow tag now and have my shoulders in bad shape by August and be unable to handle the bow. :(

Latest posts

Back