• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

More patch and lube questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just let the gun tell me when it's time and that depends on temperature and humidity.
Cold weather acts much like hot and dry weather as far as fouling deposits go.
When I start to feel the bore go dry on a patched ball it's time to wet patch the bore. Mike D.

"I don't know but isn't a single oxygen atom the difference between water and air?"

Nope, that single oxygen atom is the difference between hydrogen and water not air and water. One molecule of hydrogen (H2) plus one atom of oxygen (O) yields one molecule of water (H2O). But, if you add one molecule of oxygen (O2) to the molecule of hydrogen (H2), you get one molecule of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). The stuff is naturally unstable and quickly reverts back to one molecule of water (H2O) plus one atom of oxygen (O). Actually, what happens in real life is that two molecules of hydrogen peroxide become two molecules of water and one molecule of oxygen. That oxygen is just dying to combine with something and it loves iron. When the oxygen gets together with iron, they make lots of rust babies. Just sayin' :hatsoff:

OK. I was a little light on details. I use a .50 CVA Mountain Rifle I made from a kit in 1978 and a .36 Kentucky Rifle picked up some years ago. I use only Goex FFFg. I know from past shoots, that powder load size make a difference depending upon temperature, humidity, a patch lubed overnight or relubed just before loading the round ball. For a heavier load, 2 or 3 shots, then a wipe. For a lighter load, 4 or 5 shots, then a cleaning wipe.
I was wondering if a mystic lube grease exist that would make a cleaning wipe not needed or at least spread it out more? :doh:

Also forgot to say that my patch lube is Bore Butter with a drop of olive oil made up several days ahead of a outing. :cursing:

Using MrFlinlock patch & bore cleaner, I have shot up to 8 shots without a cleaning patch. Could have shot more but by eight shots I'm done. :v

oddball said:
I am not responding to any individual post. 1/3 murphys oil,1/3 peroxide and 1/3 rubbing alchaol
makes a great patch lube. stored in a plastic snuff can :surrender: It is a great lube and cleans the barrel as well.

If that works for you, I am happy for you. But, I couldn't reccomend because H2O2 loses it's effectivness very quickly after being exposed to air, alcohol evaporates very quickly. I just don't see it being a very good lube. Besides, I don't understand what good H2O2 would do as a lube. I use it for cleaning but that is all.

I would think that the peroxide quickly react with anything organic (murphys oil soap) and become non-functional as far as cleaning at that point.

Latest posts

Back