• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mourning for two CVA's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Went out to the in-laws today for a little BBQ and some BB gun shooting for the kids and C&B shooting for the adults. While we were shooting the neighbor came over to see what we were shooting and we said BP so he told us he had a couple rifles a friend from Kentucky had given him a long time ago. We asked him to bring them over so I could have a look. Here's where it gets sad.

He has two old CVA's. One Kentucky and one Mountain Rifle. Both were in very sad shape. Rusted bores, rusted solid nipples and cleanout screws too. The Mountain Rifle barrel had been spray painted black :shake: .
It made me want to :barf:
I told the guy with a LOT of work the Mountain Rifle could fetch a couple hundred bucks. He was offended. He thinks he has two original muskets from Kentucky :rotf:
I tried to tell him what he had and he scoffed at me.
I'd love to get my hands on the Mountain Rifle for a refinish/restore job. It has a pewter nose cap and the stock is in surprisingly good shape. The lock is rusted and the whole barrel needs a LOT of love.

Just makes me sad to see them stuffed in a closet by someone who has no damn clue what he has.

I will tell you this. He's from Mexico and I'm not even sure he's legal.

Maybe someday he'll be willing to sell his Kentucky Muskets for what he thinks they are worth. :shake:

HD

It happens. Within my own family is a .30-40 Krag that "Grandpa carried in WWII". Well, he may have bought it from DCM for $1 after the war but he sure didn't use it in the trenches. Once the original connection is lost the rest becomes family myth & fable.

ebaY will probably find him a buyer who will also think they are original ;-)

And then also claim they "won" the bid just because they were willing to pay more than anyone else on the planet. What a brilliant marketing ploy.

Don't know how many times I've seen "Original Antique Kentucky Rifle" on some of the auction sites. When you scroll down there is a picture of a rusty old CVA :rotf: .

Stumpkiller, not to take this off topic. The 30-40 Krag you mentioned. My Grandpa and a host of others from WW1 did bring them home. Though exactly as you say, they didn't used them in the war. At that time, when one was returned to civilan life, you were sent home with a rifle. Since of course the Krag was an obsolete military gun by that time, that is what you were sent home with to be used for home defense and other functions like veteran funerals etc. In my little town of 800+ I can quickly think of 5, WW1 Vets, whose families still have the gun. I have actually reloaded for some of these familes guns. At least the ones I could inspect

"I will tell you this. He's from Mexico and I'm not even sure he's legal.'

His great, great, great, somethingor other probably captured them at the Alamo...
I saw a down and out type trying to hawk a modern "Lincoln derringer" as a"pretty old gun from he 1800's" at a flea market once, most just shined him on as he drifted from table to table.

I have a flintlock that saw a lot of action in the Revolution, lots of history behind it. Probably worth about $10K.

The guy who owned it was of Italian descent, I know this because he had his name engraved on the barrel: Davide Pedersoli. :grin:

Another thing he did to make me want to :barf: ...He carried the two rifles clanked together in his hands like two pieces of lumber.
If he had a clue and really valued them he would handle with care.
:shake:

I'm so :cursing:

I want that Mountain Rifle!

HD

I have a civil war collectible book, and in the back there is a full page ad, one of the things being sold is a "Set of two rare and important derringers issued to Robert E. Lee", the derringers in question are quite obviously CVA phili derringers, polished and with a few more bits of brass and some checkering, selling both of them for $48,000.00 :bull: :nono: :youcrazy:

Some people just want to make a quick a buck, my grandma purchased the same CVA derringer from a reputable "antiques dealer" for sveral hundred, he gave her the money back when i showed up and asked him where they got all the stainless steel back in the 1800's it has a half octagonal barrel, the top half is octagon the bottom is rounded, whoever made it thought inletting the barrel channel for an octagon barrel was just too damn hard. :rotf:

Perhaps you should pull a grinch on this fellow, say your taking the rifles abck to your shop to clean them up, and return them with the CVA logos cleaned up.

blake fenton-williams said:
Perhaps you should pull a grinch on this fellow, say your taking the rifles abck to your shop to clean them up, and return them with the CVA logos cleaned up.

No need to clean them up. Connecticut Valley Arms is clearly stamped on the barrels.

I didn't dare tell him they were made in Spain. He'd probably think they were worth 10 times as much.

If ignorance is bliss, this guy's on top of the world.

HD

Over the years I've met many people who have the wrong idea about their guns.

If asked, I will tell them what they have but if they don't ask I usually don't tell them.

Why? Because especially in cases where they think their gun is a priceless relic from some far distant past they don't want to hear that it was made in Spain or Italy 15 years ago.
They enjoy "knowing" that they have some "History" in their hands and as long as they aren't trying to sell it to someone what's the harm?

I've also had many people bring their child up to where I was shooting and tell the kid, "That's the kind of Musket they fought the Revolutionary War with." even though I am shooting a Percussion Lyman Great Plains Rifle or a Pedersoli Tryon halfstock.

In these cases I make a point of NEVER telling the father he is wrong (unless he asks me).
Why? Because it discredits him in the eyes of his child. God knows kids decide early enough that the "old man is dumber than a stick" without me adding fuel to the fire. :hmm:

Or,
when they see you shooting a "made from a blank" flintlock..
come up and ask if it was made from a "kit".
Then tell you how they and a friend made a CVA a few years ago "just like it" :surrender:

Heck, when I first got my Traditions Flintlock Hawken, someone at the range asked me if it was an original. Slap a sidelock on any rifle and most people will not know what they're looking at.
It's funny, but after being in black powder for only two years I look back at production rifles that looked authentic to me in the beginning and wonder, "what was I thinking?"
It's obvious to us now, but not for the uninitiated.

The scary thing about it is, a guy can spend years studying on the subject and still get fooled by a good fake. I have seen some stuff at gun shows that would really fool that Mexican fella and quite a few much more gun savvy guys as well. It has gotten to the point that if you tell me it is an original CSA anything that I assume it is a fake and work from there.

Zonie, those are great words of wisdom and a very respectful attitude. I couldn't agree more. Like most everyone here, I've known a few folks like that too. There's no harm in letting them find out the truth on their own, if they ever do.

Latest posts

Back