• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket caps vs Percussion caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot many different types of caplocks in all kinds of weather and never had any ignition problems for many years,I have since gone to flint only but am somewhat surprised at the popularity of musket caps on civilian replicas, I guess it falls hand in hand with the fiber optic sights and modern bullets, we have come to a point where many things have blended together and the thought of something out of place raises few if any eyebrows, interesting where the sport has gone in that respect, no flame, just an observation. I think the truely traditional oriented practice of the sport is really in the minority now.

I fully admit the musket cap may be out of place on my hunting rifle , however it is a T/C hawkens so it is not a completely accurate copy to start with.
That said , I use triple 7 powder and will use all advantages I can get to assure no misfires when hunting. Those little 11 caps annoy me to no end when my hands are numb LOL. Truthfully , I lust for a flintlock :(

Thanks to those of you who took time to send in input on this subject. We just got more snow, so it will be a while before I can even consider doing some testing on this subject. So far had never had a problem with the CCI #11 mag caps, but seeing those musket caps on close out just got me to wondering. Again thanks to everyone.

Back