• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

muzzleloader cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golliej

32 Cal.
Reaction score
how do you clean a barrel on a muzzleloader? I mean eventually it probably needs cleaned somehow because all of the burnt gunpowder would build up in the bottom of the barrel. However,the bottom of the barrel is blocked off so you can't run a cleaning rod all the way through it? It looks like some sort of screw at the back of the barrel but I'm not sure if it is designed to come off or not, anybody know? So how do you get the junk out of the bottom of the barrell periodically?

Mornin MUFAN
As you clean your weapon in hot soapy water with the nipple out it will flush out the breech usin a cleanin patch and jag, I'll even put a few drops of oil in the nipple hole after cleanin, Then I will run a patch down it with out the cleanin jag, (I have a paten breech) and use a patch puller to get the patch out, When I am ready to load, I will fire 2 caps to burn off any oil left in it,, So far, that has worked for me,,

I use either a bore scrapper or a bore scrubber and at times both. Now when I say bore scrubber, I'm not talking about the one that looks like a piece of pasta with wire bristles (aka a bore brush) but one that looks like a small paint brush. I can also use one of those rubber tubes to flush out the bore, should I feel so inclined. You can find these items at most blackpowder stores or shops on line.

MUFAN said:
I mean eventually it probably needs cleaned somehow because all of the burnt gunpowder would build up in the bottom of the barrel.

The DAY you shoot it, be it 1 shot or 100 shots.
You clean same day, not eventually.
we are playing with corrosives here.

do not think that I am trying to scare you off, merely trying to bring you up to speed and make your experience more enjoyable!

Cleaning isn't really that much of a chore. I use the hot water method. If you have a rifle with a hooked breech, the barrel comes off easily to clean. 5-10 minutes after the end of the day of shooting.
Scott

Pour steaming hot water down barrel, let soak 5 min., pour out and repeat, then clean with hot soapy water, I have a breech scraper but have never found any crud on it using this method. Do this ASAP after finish shooting of course, and dry well (set by the fire until hot) then use your favorite lube in the bore if not reloading shortly. I've read that hot windsheild washer fluid is good cleaner also. I'm gonna give it a try myself.

I use the cool water from the creek where I shoot and hunt. Hot water burnt my fingers and caused rust to form quickly. I use alcohol to dry out the barrel and then I lube with whatever is available.

A feather or toothpick keeps the water in the bore for a few minutes -- i pull the lock to be cleaning and wiping it down while waiting for the water to soften the fouling.

CS

:bow: :bow: to that.

not to mention, as i tell my friends, that we are dealing with an antiquated technology albiet with modern materials and manufacturing processes, we still are using a type of explosive that is several hundered years old and the basic properties that are enherint within.

So you just pour hot water into the barrel and pour it out? So the rectangular screw at the butt of my barrell is not meant to come off for cleaning purposes?

I have never heard of cleaning a gun barrel with soap and water. I already have trouble keeping the rust off the exterior of the barrel. What agent do you recommend to prevent rust after washing out the barrel? I've heard turtle wax is good for the exterior.

I have never heard of cleaning a gun barrel with soap and water-MUFAN

dont forget some dish soap, that works too. gun powder residue is slightly greasy but all natral products not like nitro powders of today wich are chemical based. the breach plug is realy only taken off if realy nessisary. on my bess there is just bright steel no brown or blue, and after washing out if ther is any rust already i may touch up with fine steel wool or a plastic pot scrubber pad (i think a scotch-bright they call them) but for the most part controling the water in the first place so the dirty dousent get all over the place and on the stock. a swab/bore brush helps for breaking up the gunk.
and as for the bore rust preventitive, i some times use wd40 or this oil i got from an old fisherman up north on my coast, called ratfish oil, dont ask, this guy catches and renders his own and aparently hunts too.

I think you need to go buy the Lyman Black Powder Handbook. It will give you a world of information that you need to know before shooting black powder firearms.
:thumbsup:

Black powder guns are a different world from modern centerfires, and so is the powder they use. Even the substutes leave corrosive fouling behind, unlike modern smokeless rounds. These corrosives are mostly salts and acids, both of which are soluble in water but not in solvent. This is why solvent works so well in centerfires and water works so well with muzzleloaders. Plain old soapy water will clean the barrel fine. If the water is warm, it'll heat the metal and after you run dry patches through to get out the water, the warm metal will evaporate any that you missed.

To prevent rust, you need to make sure there's no water left in the barrel. Some folks depend on the warm metal only. Some folks use rubbing alcohol to displace it, others use WD-40. I use Ballistol myself. After you've got the barrel nice and dry, oil it down to prevent rust. Be sure to wipe out the oil before firing it or it can cause a big fouling problem.

The easiest way I've found is to just remove the nipple and/or the cleanout screw. Stick the breech end of the barrel in a bucket of your warm solution of choice, and pump it up and down in the barrel with a jag and patch. Rinse with warm water and start the drying/oiling process.

It's all easier than it sounds and you can do it in just a couple minutes once you kinda get a system. It takes me far less time to clean a thoroughly fouled muzzleloader than it takes me to clean a centerfire.

Back