• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader rifle turkeys?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter Getter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
How many states allow turkey hunting with a muzzleloader rifle? I would love to do so but not legal here in Iowa. Greg. :)

Colorado does for the fall season. I always plan to get out and give it a go, but there are so many other things going on that I have not done it yet. Even bought the tag a few times!

Bow season opens end of august and is open through most of sep. ML deer and elk sep 12 to 19 and ML antelope towards the end of Sep. Still might try to fit it in. :haha:

It's OK for rifles in Florida on private land. Don't know about muzzleloading rifles. :idunno:

Shotguns only on public land with shot #2 or smaller.

Legal here in Texas for Rio Grandes.
I believe shotgun only for Easterns, none where I live though.

okay in Virginia. Have a shot size limit on spring gobbler, but no limits specified on rifles, pistols, bows, etc.

Pennsylvania -

Fall season (either sex)- Muzzleloading shotguns, rifles and handguns. Shot size no bigger than #4 lead or non-toxic and #2 steel. No restrictions as to caliber or loads for the rifles and handguns.

Spring Gobbler (bearded birds only) - Muzzleloading shotguns of all types and gauges. Same shot restrictions as above. Carrying or using single projectile ammunition, rifles or handguns is unlawful.

No rifles allowed in Bama. Here are the regs.

ï‚· Shotguns, 10 gauge or smaller using standard No. 2 shot or smaller.
ï‚· Long bows or compound bows in conformance with 220-2-.03 (no crossbows).
ï‚· Handguns or pistols using centerfire mushrooming ammunition, black powder handguns or pistols .40 caliber or larger.
ï‚· Handguns or pistols can only have open metallic sights (no scopes).
(b) Nothing in this section is intended to prohibit the possession of rifles, shotgun/rifle combinations (drilling) or buckshot and slugs when the hunter is stalk hunting both deer and turkey provided no person shoots or attempts to shoot turkey with the rifle or shotgun using buckshot or slugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you guys got wardens who will make you pull a load just to see what you put in there?? Since it is unlikely that the warden will have a scale in his pocket, even if you pulled the load you could tell him what he wants to hear and he won't know the difference.

:idunno: yea but I would. I am not above breaking an unjust law but I'll abide and try to get them to see how senseless there number really is.

I have not yet found it but it is my understanding the military sets lethal minimum at 80. How DOW can set lethal minimum for turkey at 110 I do not know :idunno:

I just got got to wonder if the states lawmakers that oppose muzzleloader rifles for turkey if the reasoning is that it would be an unfair advantage to the hunter or if it would be too dangerous to other hunters in the woods? Greg

Years ago it was legal to hunt turkeys in the spring season with a rifle. I hunted with my .22 mag. But there were so many complaints about rifle hunters shooting turkeys out from under a shotgun hunter, the rifle hunter would hear the calling of the shotgun hunter, and then would intercept the turkey and shoot it with his centerfire from range.

Here is the reg that Sean is talking about. Copied and pasted exactly from the regs.

b. FALL AND LATE SEASONS ONLY:
Except in units 91, 92, 96 & 951, rifles
and handguns can be muzzleloading,
centerfire or rimfire, and bullets must be
a minimum 38 grains with manufacturer’s
energy rating of at least 110 foot-pounds
at 100 yards from muzzle.

Here are the stats as applied to a .31 round ball from my spreadsheet:

Diameter-------------.310
Weight---------------45
Britroundball BC-----.0664
G1 tab BC------------.033
Gauge----------------157

And, using those stats I ran the ball throug PointBlank and came up with this:

Ballistic Data
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Range----Velocity--------Energy
--0 yds----2100--fps-------441-fpe
-25 yds----1576--fps-------248-fpe
-50 yds----1188--fps-------141-fpe
-75 yds-----987--fps--------97-fpe
100 yds-----871--fps--------76-fpe

Gotta wonder where the DOW came up with a .32 gun at 2100 fps meets their requirements. :shocked2: :confused:

Back