• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My favorite Thompson Center product. Whats yours?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White Mountain Carbine in.54.
This older fast twist conical thumper put a lot of venny in my freezer.

I'm a sucker for Renegades. My first muzzleloader was a .50 Renegade, sold it and immediately regretted doing so.

Right now I have two Renegades in .54 (one has a 1:66 twist barrel), and one .56 smoothbore.

I also have a New Englander, have .50 and 12 gauge barrels but have mostly used the 12 gauge. Fun little rig.

As far as improvements, I never liked the rubber recoil pads they put on the later models.

I also own a couple of custom guns and some "quality" kit-built guns. I would put the T/C guns up against anything on the market as far as value in a HUNTING gun is concerned. Of course, you can't be too good to shoot 'em...

Mark

I totally agree with you about TC rifles. No other product compares to them in their price range. I also agree with your comment about certain improvements. I never liked rubber recoil pads, those ugly (unnecessary) adjustable sights, and those recessed QLA barrels! In response to those of you who may be a little too "high-brow" about TC products, those inexpensive store bought guns have introduce more people to the joy of black powder shooting than probably all other manufactureres combined!

I also like the Pennsylvania Hunter (both rifle and carbine) in both flint and caplock. But I sure wish that they would get rid of those rubber butt stocks and only offer adjustable sights as optional. Or how about reintroducing the Hawken Deluxe with the all blued metal hardware!

Also, have any of you come across a 21" factory smoothbore carbine barrel in .56 cal? I once saw one on ebay and foolishly didn't buy it. I should have bought it and mounted it in a Renegade Hunter stock without the rubber recoil pad, but with the single trigger setup. That would be one fast loading, easy toating tool. How about some more suggestions?
Taylor in Texas
:hatsoff:

Not even close to anything PC, but I'm hooked on their little plastic powder flask. I think they call it a hunters flask or some such. Never used it with large cals, but it throws a perfect 25 cal charge for my 32's and 36's.

Having owned (since 1969) over 40 frames, around 200 factory barrels, about 80-90 custom wildcat barrels and who knows how many factory and custom grip/stock sets... I guess the Contender pistols and carbines could be called my favorite TC products.

I've only owned a few of TC's BP arms since the 70's - mostly Hawkens and Renegades. Currently on hand are a Cherokee 32, a Hawken switch lock/switch barrel (36,45,50) and a Renegade 54/12GA switcher.

Would like to see TC:

1. Re-tool for the Cherokee's and Seneca's.
2. Make a small scale full stock 40 flinter.
3. Bring back the EO Contender frames and drop the G2 frames.

None of these will ever happen though.

1.Seneca .36 Percussion
2.Greyhawk .50
3.Greyhawk w/.54 New Englander barrel
4.Greyhawk w/12 Ga. New Englander barrel
5.System One with .32, .50, .54, .58 & 12 Ga. barrels (Hey, it's blued & in a wood stock, that's sorta traditional ain't it?) :blah:

I'm with roundball I'd like to see a 1"full stocked hawken in .54 and .58 cal.I'd also like to see something like the seneca,and mabey a nice 12 ga. longer round ball barrels,and a bigger choice of calibers.

You know I'm of a same mind. Why haven't they made a limited run of full stock rifles. It only makes sense. Look at all the varieties of winchesters and remingtons. Of course winchester went out of business, but then again TC got bought out also.
Taylor in Texas

I have a number of T/C sidelocks that I have put together for family members to get into MLing, but the best by far is the Seneca in .36. None of the others come close for accuracy, quality or good looks. It is a very sad loss that they no longer produce this fine rifle.

CS

I would love to see the Patriot pistol brought back as a flinter.
I have a patriot in .45, a cap in .45 and a .50 flintlock.
They are not PC, but they are good shooters, and well made.

my favorites are:

.54 t/c hawken percusion
.45 patriot pistol - have won several events with this pistol
.54 scout pistol for hunting
12 ga new englander shotgun for bunnies

Heard T/C was just bought out by Smith and Wesson.
Up hear in New York cheap inlines are all that sell. Most likely some bean counter went to inventory turn over and return on investment and lost track of where the company came from. Look on the bright side CVA no longer make any side lock muzzle loaders.

HEY, easy on the old CVA's , now. They still do the trick. :nono:
I like my 54 Renegade, but it's not as proven as the 54 GreyHawk. :thumbsup:

Back