• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first BP deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bezoar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
After reading about admountainkens first flintlock deer I am no longer mad at myself. I was mad that the doe i shot today was rather small, the same size as admountainken's flintlock doe. but when i saw that no one was demanding his head on a plate i realized i have nothing to be ashamed of at all.
After 5 uneventful muzzleloading seasons, i finally managed to get my first muzzleloading deer. True she is small, but
my 310grain sabot put a 12guage hole thru the tops of her front legs and the bottom of her spine shattered there. She fell right where she stood, but somehow twisted half way around.
I know my inline doesnt qualify as a "traditional" muzzleloader, but nothing about me qualifies as a "modern" muzzleloader.
The only muzzleloaders in my area,excluding me and my father, are out shooting at 8-1130 some nights, and the day ends at 535pm or so. And someone is always shooting that late and even later from midsummer thru january first several times a month. And a few "modern" hunters in my area scream to eachother "is it decent" when their hunting firends shoot something. And a modern hunter shot a small spike, sawed his little horns off and threw the rest in the ditch.
i hunt it, kill it, bring it home, and EAT IT.

congrats on your first bp deer, you should be proud! stick to your good hunting ethics and don't worry about whatever the rest of the law breakers are doing. i don't that they will ever take pride and feel the way we do when we take a deer with a muzzleloader! stay strong and keep yer powder dry,
Ken

Congratulations on your first black powder deer. More will follow but you will always remember that one... :thumbsup:

Congrats, next year will be my first season in the field with a BP rifle.

Thanks for the good comments everyone. I will be remembering this little girl. Im planning on making a neclace or two from some rib bones this summer, going to use pieces of the ditch deer for my practice.

Checked where i shot her this morning and the area still had a good hint of sulfur in the air. Kinda smelled it a few hundred yards away somehow.

another neat project for a first or unique deer is a deer leg gun rack. My dad shot a buck in 03 that had 3/4 white legs from the knee down...very interesting and unique.

I could possibly get you some detailed instructions on how to do it or I think vandykes supply sells kits. it's very fun and rewarding

Way to go on your first. I got my first last year. Brings back a lot of good memories. Hopefully you took pictures. If you can post them we would be willing to look :eek:. Good luck on the next one.
Zman

That night/next morning a bunch of deer followed the trail from where i shot to where i gutted. that next night a group of 5 does came, and tonight 4 different ones came.

im pretty happy with my deer.

Latest posts

Back