• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first BP squirrels!!!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Stephens

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Had a few hours this afternoon for my first true flintlock squirrel hunt , have went out several times with my 32 just walking around but had yet to fire a shot at a squirrel. My little 32 is a shooter and I wanted to put it to work on a tree rat or two for the pot. Went over to my in-laws place where I knew I could find em in a thick ravine we call Jackson Hole and find a few I did. Saw 8 and fired 2 shots and brought 2 home , got one in the head and one in the neck. Was quite a fun outing and can see me spending more time in the squirrel woods with my flinter.......

,,,,Sam,,,,

Well done you! How'd you play it when you got back to the house -- did you play it down, supressing your ear-to-ear grin, or were you jumping up and down?

And to score a few extra points, ask your mother-in-law what her favorite squirrel recipes are! :thumbsup: :haha:

Thanks everyone , my mother-in-law can flat cook any wild game so good it should be illegal to eat. She makes homemade biscuits every morning and let me tell you put that squirrel and gravy on em Dang It I can taste it now. While I was hunting they were working on the window sashes for a new cabin they are building in the middle of the property. All heavy timber and solid wood construction , no power , no furnishings newer than the early 1900s , is set next to a spring fed tank full of fish. Heck they have a wood cooking stove in their house , the best folks you would ever meet in your life. Anyway it's my little hunting heaven cause nobody hunts the property but me , I fell in a pot of gold when I married my wife , her family treats me better than mine ever did ( I did not gold dig I met my wife in grade school and been in love with her ever since ) don't tell her that she thinks I married her for the hunting rights.....

,,,,Sam,,,,,

The grin was ear to ear and I jumped a few times but I had to stop it was scaring my chickens....

,,,,Sam,,,,

Sounds like my story------- sept 54yrs ago in SW Virginia. I loved my inlaws. Course it's all over now. But,many happy days on that farm. Biscuits and gravy every morning----- and dinners unspeakable. And my Bride is continuing in her mom's steps after 54 years.

Dang, Sam...your wife got any unmarried sister? :wink: :thumbsup: :rotf:

You and Sidelock are both lucky guys. I miss my late wife and her mama's cooking too! Even though they were yankee folks from Iowa, that lady knew what to do with lard! When we went to visit, I'd turn on the "Heide Ya'lls" and the "I reckons" and Bev's mom would feed me just to shut me up! That's even Dutch country up around Sheldon and Orange City...I really turned it on for those folks! I finally screwed up and said too much in real English once though! They figured me out!! :doh: "That there's purdier than a speckled pup under a red wagon!"...had'em going for a while!

Great, and thanks for sharing!
And by the way all your pictures are excellent!!!

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Congratulations...and having a good little private place to hunt is worth its weight in gold

Sam those sure do look a couple of nice and FAT squirrels to me! are you sure you didn't "Grin" them down out of the tree? Like Dan'l Boone?, they ought to fill a skillet up just fine! :thumbsup: Wes-Tex, I do the same when I find out there's a couple of Yankees around me :grin: The "Hi Darlins", "I reckons" and "Well shut my mouth" get me the LOOK every time . :rotf:

My wife and I are going to celebrate our 39th year this May. Her mother can make biscuits and fried chicken from heaven. Unfortunately, my wife's biscuits can be used as doorstops.
However, she makes up for it with all her other good qualities. And she never gripes when I buy another gun. :bow:

Latest posts

Back