• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first gun from my new shop

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rusty,
I used Laurel Mountain Forge alcohol-based dyes, Lancaster maple and cherry I think. I won't use them again. They dry too fast, even when thinned and they would not penetrate some of the hard spots in the maple. I usually use water-based dyes or acid stains but thought I'd try LMF to learn about them. Of course I practiced on scrap wood but when applying them to the project I had some trouble. Many folks use them very well but alcohol stains just don't work for me. I achieve better results much more easily with my tried and true water-based methods. Live and learn. The LMF stains offer me no advantage whatsoever.

dave

Hi Rifleman,
It weighs 8-9 pounds. Not too bad for a gun with a big-a$$ D weight barrel. To keep it looking slim I shaved the web of wood between the barrel and ramrod to a minimum. That meant my barrel key inlets had to be bang on. It also meant I filed a shallow groove in the bottom of the barrel to clear the forward lock bolt. I planned it that way. I also left more than half of the barrel exposed above the stock and 2/3s of the ramrod and thimbles. That did the trick. Thanks for looking.

dave

Hi MSW,
I live in Braintree, Vermont, which is next to Randolph. I bought a little house on 18 acres with a car barn that I converted to my shop. My wife passed away in 2012 while we were living and working in Alaska, so it is just me and my border collie, Bella. I am happy, though I wish Gail was here.

dave

Very nice.

Sorry for your loss Dave.

If you hear of any good muzzleloading events up there in VT, PM me. I am near Albany. A not too painful drive away.

You should keep a 58 for yourself. Could come in handy if you draw a moose Tag.

Dave, that is just plain and simple one of the most beautiful rifles I have laid my eyes on. Good job! I am going to be attempting my first build ( a Virginia) and will be coming back to your pics for inspiration . Thank you for sharing with us!! Greg. :)

Hi Critter,
Thanks. I like the gun too but I also know all the little boo-boos along the way. There are always some. It also happens to shoot really well, which is a bonus. :wink:
Thanks again,

dave

I am in awe constantly each time I come to this forum. I cannot believe the beauty, craftsmanship and artistry of the guns you gentlemen build.

Simply the amazing! Simply the best!

Daaaaaaam!!! That is beautiful. What a prize to own. Almost too pretty to shoot. It will definitely be a family heirloom. Congratulations on some extremely fine work. :thumbsup:

This is both inspirational and intimidating at the same time. But, these posts have caused me to definitely slow down what I do and pay much more attention to fine detail (like rounding off somewhat squarish carving), and add detail that I hadn't thought to (like a filed in wedding band on a breach) previously.

Back