• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Kibler SMR Build Log

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll admit the childish insults and unwarranted confidence seemed to grate on everyone’s nerves and was rather unbelievable. Most of us thought Kibler kits were foolproof.
Being positive, we have all been the village idiot at some point in our live…maybe not as well. I must say looking back his arrogance was sort of impressive.

Build Update

OK, I give up. I'm done. The dark forces win this round. I could have dealt with the muzzle. I cannot deal with this:

Build terminated.

Ah good grief Wiscoaster........Where's the spunk you've showed in all your posts when good advice has been given and you've disregarded it alot. Haven't agreed with alot of your methods and some of the attitude, but......after spending some $1200 on a Kibler kit not to mention unknown $$ on tools/supplies and time spent you don't want to toss in the towel and admit defeat. Sometimes the better part of valor and character is to admit and accept what a person has done wrong and change things, then continue on. That's the key to the phrase, the word 'change'. When a person realizes, sees, and admits to what they've done wrong either by knowing it or finding it out, they can make a 'change'. Don't know how many people I told that to in the 21 years I spent as a Police Officer. Me, I'd do as suggested a few threads up, contact Jim Kibler and get a new tang and have it installed by someone who has done it and knows the proper process or send it to Kiblers. Then finish the build without all of the fanfare. JMO! Crow Choker

.... Sometimes the better part of valor and character is to admit and accept what a person has done wrong and change things, then continue on. That's the key to the phrase, the word 'change'. When a person realizes, sees, and admits to what they've done wrong either by knowing it or finding it out, they can make a 'change'. ...
Thanks. Already done. What I did wrong was to try to accomplish my goal through the kit process when the goal was not the kit itself but the result of the kit. Another rifle (production rifle) already ordered and expecting ship notice before end of day. What I should have done in the first place. The other mistake, obviously, was doing it publicly. I should have just done it in secret, then nobody would have known I had failed. Not my way, I guess.

Towel not tossed out, just tossed into the laundry, and clean towel now on the towel bar. Not defeated, just momentarily paused so as to readjust course and divert onto the path I should have taken in the first place. Should have done that many pages ago, except just too stubborn wanting to combat the negativity and "not a member of the good old boys club" attitudes around here.

New members beware!! Don't express contrary opinion. If you're given advice (especially if not asked for), keep mum on whether or not it's the right advice for you. You'll risk getting hammered if you receive but don't use advice given. Problematic when you get four differing advices on one question. You'll make three enemies and one friend. Best just keep your own counsel.

One last thing: regardless of anything that's happened in this build log, I would still not hesitate to recommend a Kibler kit to anyone of any skill level, if it's a kit build that they want to do.

Last edited:
Why would you do that to a barrel muzzle of any gun. It's horrible looking. Find someone who can salvage the gun and let them finish it, this is insane and that coming from one who never built a Muzzle loading rifle but will in the future.

Thanks. Already done. What I did wrong was to try to accomplish my goal through the kit process when the goal was not the kit itself but the result of the kit. Another rifle (production rifle) already ordered and expecting ship notice before end of day. What I should have done in the first place. The other mistake, obviously, was doing it publicly. I should have just done it in secret, then nobody would have known I had failed. Not my way, I guess.

Towel not tossed out, just tossed into the laundry, and clean towel now on the towel bar. Not defeated, just momentarily paused so as to readjust course and divert onto the path I should have taken in the first place. Should have done that many pages ago, except just too stubborn wanting to combat the negativity and "not a member of the good old boys club" attitudes around here.

New members beware!! Don't express contrary opinion. If you're given advice (especially if not asked for), keep mum on whether or not it's the right advice for you. You'll risk getting hammered if you receive but don't use advice given. Problematic when you get four differing advices on one question. You'll make three enemies and one friend. Best just keep your own counsel.

One last thing: regardless of anything that's happened in this build log, I would still not hesitate to recommend a Kibler kit to anyone of any skill level, if it's a kit build that they want to do.

Well.................:dunno:..............OK!!!! What's the old saying about leading a horse to water..................? I won't finish it. Enough said!

Before the thread is closed, I feel the need to say I feel the pain of failure and misfortune, even if some is self inflicted. I had hopes that Wis’s rifle would ultimately be finished and fully functional. The rifle is salvageable, but needs experienced help.
If I had time, I would offer to fix what’s broken, in the spirit of keeping our sport going.
Best wishes Wiscoaster. Hope you find a project more your speed.

I would set the parts aside for now, and find someone to fix and finish. good luck with your new gun!

Build Log Update

By Cracky!!

This was just so damn cool that I just had to break my promise not to post another update.

I've been playing with the Starbond product to determine if it's the right approach for my stock crack repair.

The Starbond comes with some teeny tiny applicator tips perfect for injecting product into a tiny crack:
View attachment 240972

I started with a sample of walnut on hand:
View attachment 240974

... then created a crack in it:
View attachment 240975

... to simulate a tiny crack in a stock forend. With the test piece protected from gluing to my work table using wax paper, I then injected the Starbond into the crack with the applicator, allowed it settle, and injected some more:
View attachment 240976

... hit it with accelerator spray:
View attachment 240977

... discovered the opposite side also needed a little extra fill plus accelerator:
View attachment 240978

... waited only moments for it to harden, then filed and sanded:
View attachment 240979

Then to test, I tried flexing the sample piece to break the bond and it did not break. This whole process from setup to flex test literally took about five minutes.

The cigarette paper test also seemed to work quite well:
View attachment 240984

There's no way to know how much strength it adds, but it does serve to bond the entire surface, so it's got to be something. And in exchange adds virtually no thickness. Something for nothing is good.

Amazing!!

I'm sold. Tomorrow I'll pick up a bottle of the brown for a better match.

Thanks to the member that recommended this product.
I became acquainted with CA glues in the early 80s; building balsa wood model airplanes. Stuff worked and came in various thicknesses. I recently purchased a bottle of Starbond brown and clear along with the accelerator. My infamous TVM has numerous cracks that I believe the manufacturer tried to repair with CA. Also some new crack’s that I repaired recently I suspect due to shrinkage. Anyway I wish I knew about the cigarette paper nothing like subtle reinforcement. Who would think cigarette paper? Thanks for posting!

I have a funny insight that if the truth be known ... he went to fit the barrel back in and it didn't come close to fitting. Rather than face the landside of criticism for not putting the barrel in when fixing the crack, like everyone suggested, he decided to dive out to save face. WZ

“Not a member of the good old boys club around here”?

You would be correct IF we didn’t have enormously talented people offering their assistance TO EVERYONE who asks, regardless of status. Quite the opposite, these talented builders offer advice freely, NOT keeping “trade secrets” within an elite group. They want all of us to succeed, thereby carrying on this great tradition into the future. The exact opposite of a good old boys club.

Your cognitive dissonance is showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back