• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My shoot results

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just returned from the Saunder's Memorial Matches at Berryville, Arkansas. Met some TMF members in person and had a great time. It was good to be back in the shooting game after missing out for a couple years due to health problems. I shot my new smoothbore fowler. Won't talk about that here for a couple reasons. :redface:
But, I also shot my TC Hawken Half-Breed rifle in the benchrest aggregate. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/260952/
Rifle shot beautifully and I didn't do half bad either. Shooting against genuine bench rest rifles using this ten pound, basically offhand, rifle, I felt pretty good. Was holding third place in the aggregate until the end when I was nudged out.
Target below was at 100 yards. The two high eights were my fault purely. The wind was blowing directly from my back. I should have waited until the wind died down and those two high shots would have been in the nine or ten rings. No matter, I'm happy with my shooting.
For the record: I was using store bought .445 balls, ticking with my beeswax/whale oil lube and 70 gr. Goex 3Fg genuine black powder. Normally I use a .457 ball in this barrel but didn't have any cast up. Can't gripe about the .445 performance though. http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr329/Rifleman1776/target.jpg[/IMG]]Link
target.jpg
[/img]

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a pretty nice looking target! :thumbsup:

It's a rare day when I can shoot one like that from the bench with any of my guns.

Not sure why you think those high ones are due to a wind at your back? :confused:

Not sure why you think those high ones are due to a wind at your back?

I need some kinda excuse. :wink:
Besides, really, a rear wind will give the balls some 'lift' and cause them to print high. Often the better bench shooters are those who are the best at reading the wind. I'll add, they are also often the most patient.

Having a hard time seeing a tail wind causing that much lift to a ball. :hmm: Not disagreeing, just don't see the physics of it. OTOH, I don't much see the physics of anything. :)

Anyway, sorry to take your thread off on a tangent.

marmotslayer said:
Having a hard time seeing a tail wind causing that much lift to a ball. :hmm: Not disagreeing, just don't see the physics of it. OTOH, I don't much see the physics of anything. :)

Anyway, sorry to take your thread off on a tangent.

I have seen it happen, associated with a dip and rise between you and the target, wind from your six. Much more pronounced at long range, wind coming 90 degrees to the feature, only way to go is up...projectile gains some lift. Learned that the hard way in competition, (highpower)...

That is some mighty fine shooting there.
Think that I might be able to do that..if they let me put my barrel up to the target. LOL

Rifleman1776 said:
Just received an award certificate in the mail. That target took second place in the benchrest match. Not bad shooting against genuine heavy bench rifles. If'n I do say so m'self.

Oops :shocked2: ...I didn't look close enough.
There were two award certificates in the envelope. I really took 1st place at 100 yards with the target above. My other 100 yard target took second place. :grin: I feel good. :thumbsup:

Back