• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My TVM Confusion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Happy Easter to All!

I have been snooping around for a flint fowler for some time. I have heard about TVM here and there, but have run into confusion. I found the website for Tennessee Valley Manufacturing at http://www.tennesseevalleymanufacturing.com/

I have also found a website for Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders at http://www.avsia.com/tvm/

Both are "TVM" and both are located in Corinth, MS. So, now I am super confused. I sent an e-mail to Steven Turner at TV Manufacturing a few days back, but no reply yet. I am wondering if these are the same companies? Their phone numbers are different? The guns at TV Manufacturing seem reasonably priced (+/- $800 for a fowler). Any thoughts on quality?

Thanks!
Rob

Jack Garner sold Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading a few years ago, with the idea that he would retire. He didn't, and started Tennessee Valley Manufacturing. That's why they are both in Corinth, Ms., engaged in the same business.

There ain't no flies on the TVM's. I have one I bought when Jack still owned it, a Leman, flint in 54 cal. Nothing but good things to say about it. Highly recommended. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Vic

I have an Early Virginia that Matt made for me about 3 years ago. It is probably the best "semi" custom gun out there for the price. I love mine and am about to order another one. Matt apprenticed under Jack Garner for several years. Matt has actually improved on some of Jack's designs and manufacturing methods. His guns are first rate. :thumbsup:

I second Goeb. I've had two rifles made by Matt Avance. Top-notch work and performance at a reasonable price.

Greg
:m2c:

I have a Lancaster flint that I ordered as Matt and Toni took over. It is one of their earliest guns and I am quite happy with it.

I actually drove to the shop which was still at Jack Garner's house. I would have no problem with ordering from either TVM.

(I also visited Jackie Brown during the same trip and eventually ordered a Tulle in 20 gauge which I still use.)

After the sale, Jack started making only a few high quality guns (Grand Rifles) and was to have been focusing on manufacturing parts and accessories which was the reason for the difference in the names.

CS

Jack Garner is a great person to deal with.
You surely won't be disappointed.

Nothing but wonderful things to say about TVM's Matt and Toni. They built me a very fine Tennessee .45. They are just great to deal with. Toni does an outstanding job of answering emails, filling orders and yes even building the very sturdy shipping boxes for the long guns Matt creates. The Avances are carrying on the American Tradition of the "Mom and Pop" small business. Quality and service. God bless 'em!

I second that with a big huzzah! My custom "Virginia" rifle from Matt took a year, but it was worth it. :m2c:

Greg

Rightsidebuttarea.jpg

PatchboxCloseup.jpg

Forearmmoldingcloseup.jpg

Greg,

Is that a "Grand Rifle" or their standard with some tweaks? I was specifically wondering about the carving. I will be sending Matt and Toni some parts and a deposit check by the end of the week for my own Early Virginia Rifle.

Rob,
I'm with everyone on this! Matt/Toni and the staff at TVM are excellent and very helpful and offer an excellent product. My .50 Late Lancaster is absolutley fantastic! Now some PA boys have got me hooked on smoothbores and I will have to get a Fowler next year. Enjoy!

DEJ

Hi Moss,

It's a standard Virginia with some tweaking. The Grand Rifle was too fancy for my taste. Tweaking on this one:
Colerain swamped barrel
P wood (I didn't want a lot of curl)
Wood patchbox
Beveled sideplate and toeplate
Silver thumbpiece inlay
Incise carving (no relief carving except beavertails) - straight moldings on patchbox lid, curlicue thingies on either side of the wrist coming down from the comb, and foreend molding down to the lower thimble, and two line moldings along the bottom of the cheekpiece like on the Grand Rifle.

Greg

DEJ,
Welcome aboard and thank you for all you are doing. Here's hoping for a change of address for all you guys real soon.
Finnwolf

Thanks guys for the well wishes! If all goes well should be putting some .495 RB's to work during MD Dec Muzzleloader season. Beautiful rifle Greg, my Late Lancaster has P++ Curly Maple, German Silver furniture with a vent pick inlay and no patch box or carvings-figured I would put plenty of scroll work on tripping over logs and dragging deer off the mountain. Ha, Ha!

DEJ

Fla. Flinter - That's one nice custom Virginia Rifle! Like the wood sliding patchbox too. :RO: :thumbsup: Thanks for posting photos.

i had a 62. fowler built by Matt 7 Toni 2 years ago. AWESOME QUALITY WORK!!!!!! I HIGLY RECOMMEND THEM!!! great wood to metal fit, fast, reliable large siler lock. i ordered the pttt maple stock and what a beauty it is!!! see for yourself.
p.s. the knives in the pic's were made by matt from MLKNIVES who is a member on this forum.
fowler_and_ml_knives.jpg

mlknives.jpg

Back