• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

navy .36

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Mykeal- I think a Dremel type tool would be better than a file; with the file a stray stroke could mar other parts of the bore, especially at the muzzle. The rotary tool can be applied just to the bump. If you grind away too much, it's sort of like a port and I don't believe ports or depressions adversely impact accuracy- maybe someone else knows for sure.

Don't kid yourself. A Dremil tool can create a lot of scrap in a split second. Needle files and lapping will fix that up in no time.

:hmm: With the torque and general clumsiness of the dremel---I wouldn't hesitate to state that the tool will probably grab and do a number on the barrel. With a good semi-round needle file (coarse & fine) you will be able to concentrate on the small area and reduce that "bump' to flat in no time. You can proceed slowly with the file. You can always use 600grit wet & dry glued to a small diameter dowel to polish the area after filing. I have tried this technique before on "blemishes" in the rifling---this blemish is due to stupidity. :thumbsup:

i'm with the needle file guys.

slower is always better. remember that old saw about taking it off, but not being able to put it back?

the other defects are likely lead deposits from the last time i shot it, i'll admit, i didn't do my usual ultra thorough job. something about being upset over the gun's reliability.

I don't know whether I would cone it but on second look at the pics it doesn't appear to be more than a lands width down bore. Another option would be cut 1/16" off the barrel and recrown with a 45 degree tool. That should get rid of all the imperfections and the sight and loading lever wouldn't have to fooled with. I would still give the needle file a go first.

Definitely use needle files and take your time. The barrel is salvageable and may even prove quite accurate. You never know.

There's a reason I specified the engraving bit with the Dremel - it's quite small and very controllable. Not all Dremel bits are mega-grinders.

But the best idea is still the drill through.

mykeal said:
There's a reason I specified the engraving bit with the Dremel - it's quite small and very controllable. Not all Dremel bits are mega-grinders.

But the best idea is still the drill through.

it's got promise, but one of the main issues i have with the dremel is the ridiculous speed it runs at. if they had a reduction gear that brought the bit down to a few hundred RPM, i'd probably give it a swing.

Back