• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Rifle.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnTheGreek

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally! My new fiance's engagement gift to me is finished! Jim Gefroh sent me the photos of my new 8-bore a couple of days ago. While there are certainly aspects of the rifle that aren't PC (especially the sights), I can almost smell elephant dung just looking at these images. :D

GEFROH.jpg

Gefroh3.jpg

The standing sight is regulated for an 830 grain .820 diameter patched round ball cast from wheel weights and the folding leaf for a 1360 grain conical pushed by 10 drams (273 grains) of 2F. Ballistically, H&H used very slightly larger diameter 892 grain pure lead round balls from a 26" bbl and got 1654 f/s yielding 5232 f/# of energy. Using a 1257 grain conical they got 1500 f/s and 6273 f/#. :shocked2:

Taking the rifle to Canada in January where it will hopefully be used to take a free roaming Bison. After that, the future wife and I are going house shopping in the Great White North! :grin:

Hope you all enjoy the photos.

Best,

John

You Lucky Man!

[I hope!]

A Fine looking Gun! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Keep us posted on loads and accuracy!

Best Wishes on your Bison hunt!

john sounds to me like you got yourself a keeper. that is probably one of the nicest guns i have seen in a while and the caliber my god man what are you trying to do kill all the animals in the woods with one shot :blah: . seriously though congrats on both.

W'all I reckon thim Northern Squirrels bitter watch out! :rotf: Nice weapon fer shore!

Davy

Pretty wood...looks like a lot of drop in that stock too.

If you move to the north, you'll have plenty of rifle for Sasquatch! :grin:

The standing sight is regulated for an 830 grain .820 diameter patched round ball cast from wheel weights

Why are you using ball cast from wheel weights? That seems contrary to everythimg I have heard thus far. Is it penetration on thick skinned game. A harder ball does not flatten out as much, perhaps helping penetration on, say, an elephant? That's my guess.
Idaho PRB

Interesting question, Idaho. I have also always heard that pure lead was the way to go. I have even have read of Sir Samuel Baker doing tests and discovering that the added weight of lead brought as much penetration as it cost one when compared to casting with a percentage of "quicksilver" (as he did). I have a hard time believing that it makes too much difference, however when we are talking about an 830 grain ball...as long as the alloy isn't so low in lead percentage that the projectile becomes fragile. To be frank, I let the maker lead me on this one question as he has "been there and done that" with big African game using front-stuffers. The fact that Baker also cast bullets not of pure lead only gave me comfort. While the first quarry to be pursued with this rifle won't necessitate the harder ball, I plan on going after a cow elephant at some point in the next year or so and that will be the real test.

Best,

John

That is certainly a handsome rifle. I especially like the full length stock and that wood is quite eye-catching. I'm curious... what is the weight of the gun?

You made two very good choices thus far, the future Mrs. and the rifle. NICE GOING!

Regards,
WV_Hillbilly

Thanks for the compliments. I have no idea what the rifle weighs at this point since it and I are still on different continents (for another couple of weeks). I did tell Jim to hold off on installing a mercury recoil reducer in the stock at this point as I want to see how it balances first. I can always have that done later if necesary.
I agree with Jaegermeister that the rifle is "Jaegerish" but not a true Jaeger by any stretch. First, I choose a percussion rifle as I figured the likes of an elephant hunter would have been pretty likely to convert from flint given the chance. I also figure "traditional" jaeger stock geometry and low mounted sights would ensure the shooter getting bopped in the nose with the recoil of an 8-bore. I also elected not to swamp the barrel for the sake of retaining weight on the relatively short rifle which was another deviation from more "standard" jaeger features. As for the sights...well, I just figured any "proper" old world jaeger builder with a time machine would choose Recknagel three leaf safari sights and an ivory front bead for a "proper" elephant rifle. :rotf: So....I'm still PC right? :rotf:

Thanks again for all of the compliments. I'll post photos if I'm fortunate enough to take a Wood Bison with it around the end of next month. For now, here's a photo of me and future spouse.

usinalex.jpg

Best Regards,

John

Some guys really got it rough, :rotf: But really both great looking, that rifle is , cant think of a word for it " great "seems to tame. Good luck, but it doesnt seem you need it. not pure lead because of the massive powder charge maybe? Fred

Back