• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rearranged my shooting bags, made one dedicated to .54 caliber for my new Kibler Woodsrunner (assembled by Olskool) then took her and her sister (my Kibler SMR) to the Range.

Olskool and I must share the same eye as I needed no sight adjustments. All shots were inter-connecting at POA. My only complaint is I ran out of daylight to soon. I cleaned my babies and we are now ready to get back to the range.

Last edited:
loaded up my 11 gauge with #6 shot. went out to water the new green bean plants and discovered most of the leaves and climbers were nipped off by the snow shoe hare that has been hanging around. wish it was winter, i would make a ball bag from his white hide. guess i shouldn't think of them as pets. hasenpfeffer anyone?

Still working on paper cartridges for the M1861 Colt Special. I discarded the ones already made and mentioned in a previous post because I decided the paper I was using for the outer casing wasn't robust enought. Back to the drawing board .....

Used my diamond faced grinder disc and trued up some new flints to fit my lock better. I used a Dimond dremmel bit last time but the grinder clamped in a vice is definitely the way to go.

Just received my new (to me) Lyman Trade rifle in 50 caliber. I'll be on the hunt for patches, and round balls to work up a load for hunting season. I have a 45 and 50 caliber, I wonder if I can think up a believable reason to buy a 54 so the wife doesn't make me sleep on the couch again! LOL

Attachments

• DSC00315 - Copy.JPG
    DSC00315 - Copy.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Shot my frontier caplock this morning. Ringing steel at 50/75/100/120 yds. Pretty happy to tag a couple of gongs at 120 with off hand shots. :)
Well done!! 120 yards off hand!! Nice! My boys saw your picture in a post the other day. They were trying to figure out what your name was. I could not remember offhand what indigenous language it was or the meaning?

Just received my new (to me) Lyman Trade rifle in 50 caliber. I'll be on the hunt for patches, and round balls to work up a load for hunting season. I have a 45 and 50 caliber, I wonder if I can think up a believable reason to buy a 54 so the wife doesn't make me sleep on the couch again! LOL
tell her you are buying it for her. being .54 it is lighter in weight, just right for her!

no, it didn't work for me eithero_O

I am working on another horn (#65) that I hope to display at the CLA show. It certainly didn't seem like an all day activity but every bit of nine hours went into the engraving on is so far.
One thing about horn-work; If you make a mistake or decide to change something, even after you have engraved and inked the lines in, it can be remedied. It can be done by using a very sharp scraper (such as an X-Acto blade or a good knife) and scraping away at the engraving until you are below the carved lines. I then often use a bit of 220 sandpaper to finish it out. The procedure works well, even for deeply carved lines like I do.
This is what happened today- if you look at the engraving I did at the base of the horn (the 'weave' design I call it). Originally I had a "quilt" pattern there (drawn on first and looked appealing, then scratched in), but when done it just didn't look right. Not enough visual weight. I tried to modify the design but but nothing seemed to get it right. So I did the hated thing and removed it: almost three hours of work scraped away. But the new design works well to my eye and I can go forward with this horn feeling it's up to snuff, so far!

Attachments

• Horn 65 a.jpg
    Horn 65 a.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 0
I am working on another horn (#65) that I hope to display at the CLA show. It certainly didn't seem like an all day activity but every bit of nine hours went into the engraving on is so far.
One thing about horn-work; If you make a mistake or decide to change something, even after you have engraved and inked the lines in, it can be remedied. It can be done by using a very sharp scraper (such as an X-Acto blade or a good knife) and scraping away at the engraving until you are below the carved lines. I then often use a bit of 220 sandpaper to finish it out. The procedure works well, even for deeply carved lines like I do.
This is what happened today- if you look at the engraving I did at the base of the horn (the 'weave' design I call it). Originally I had a "quilt" pattern there (drawn on first and looked appealing, then scratched in), but when done it just didn't look right. Not enough visual weight. I tried to modify the design but but nothing seemed to get it right. So I did the hated thing and removed it: almost three hours of work scraped away. But the new design works well to my eye and I can go forward with this horn feeling it's up to snuff, so far!
I could spend 90 hours on it and it would still be a mess! Your horns are absolutely beautiful, I love the detail you include on them.

Well done!! 120 yards off hand!! Nice! My boys saw your picture in a post the other day. They were trying to figure out what your name was. I could not remember offhand what indigenous language it was or the meaning?
It is Blackfoot for timber wolf. :)

Fitted (drop-in should I say...) a flintlock into the caplock mortise of my new Pedersoli Kentucky in .45 which are CNC machined for sure... perfect fit, a breeze.

sguF7Wz.jpg

mj3hN1D.jpg

SiwN3Jx.jpg

ljGlDlf.jpg
After the easiest mod I ever made on a ML my son and I headed to the range last Sunday morning to give it a try. Woohoo!

Attachments

• 20240714_101243_020.jpg
    20240714_101243_020.jpg
    954 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240714_101243_021.jpg
    20240714_101243_021.jpg
    903 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back