• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie - Just ordered a Lyman Trade Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gzolas

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi folks!

I've been perusing this forum for the past few days, and have gotten quite a bit of good information already. Great group here!

Been interested in historic percussion weapons for years, but needed a "hook" to justify the buy. Looked into SAS, but Frontier Class is a marginalized category, especially in my region. Then the answer came - muzzleloading deer season!

Little did I know the hardest part was ahead of me - choosing which rifle. Ugh! So many cool choices under $700! I finally chose the Lyman Trade Black Powder Rifle based on its weight, price, and of course looks. After hemming and hawing, I went for the slower rifling option so I can shoot ball. I'm going after whitetail after all, not elk. I also chose .50 caliber since I anticipate it will be more common - shared with the inliners that dominate this region.

Now that I'm a member, I can search - but finding information specific to the Lyman Trade rifle doesn't come as easily as one word search designators such as "hawken" or "GPR" or "deerstalker" or "enfield." Lyman and Trade bring up tons of posts, but not on target.

Who has a Lyman Trade in .50 with the slower twist, and what loads shoot well in it? As a matter of fact, what do I need to buy to take in the field besides the rifle? Do I carry a CVA powderhorn?

Either a newbie list, or a link to a good tutorial site would be great. I've been to a few, but none seem to give the whole story.

Thanks!

Your manual should get you started as far as loads, 60 gr 3f or 2f is a good starting place, I see that an interest in historical arms was part of what spurred your purchasing a ML and that looks was a driving factor in the gun you chose, with the first in mind what was it about the looks that you found interesting from a historical standpoint, no flame intended I am seriously interested in how this came together based on your post, thanks TG

Tarheel_Greg said:
I finally chose the Lyman Trade Black Powder Rifle... I went for the slower rifling option so I can shoot ball.
Who has a Lyman Trade in .50 with the slower twist...
Am I missing something? I know the GPR has 1:30 and 1:60 barrels, but I thought the Trade Rifle was only available in 1:48. Does Lyman make other barrels for the TR that Im not aware of? :confused:

Hey Tarheel, Not a bad choice there. I have a Lyman trade rifle that I got from a pawn shop, used, for 80 bucks. It's my serious meat getter.I sold this gun off for a hundred bucks and regretted it immediatly.I have since gotten it back through trade and will not let it go again.I have a 58 cal smoothie flintlock that I use for reenacting and hunting, but for hunting after I have some in the freezer from the Lyman .60 grains is a good load.

you have a good rifle in a good cal. layman trade rifles have taken a lot of deer and prizes at the shoots.

i would start with 60 gr. 3f and work up from there. you can shoot over fresh snow or a tarp when you get unbruned powder showing up back off 5 gr. and call that your max load.

you will need;
a adjable powder measure.{ don't load from the can or the horn or a flask].
short starter
balls and patches precut or cut at the muzzle with a patch knife
powder
caps that fit the nipple
cleaning jag and a screw that goes on the ram rod to pull balls or lost patches.

yes you can use your cva horn.

you will need a patch lube which can be spit for the range. or crisco on up to the best store bought you can find.[ i have been shooting for over 25 years and still use spit and crisco]

read the instrution book more then once. dont cut corners on anything in it.

you will need a possables bag to carry the above things in when you go shooting.

for cleaning i use hot soapy water. then dry with wd40 then a light oil.

what was it about the looks that you found interesting from a historical standpoint, no flame intended I am seriously interested in how this came together based on your post, thanks TG
Good question; I started with the PC guns, such as Enfields, Springfields, Sharps and Hawkens, etc. In my self imposed price ceiling of $700, I either didn't like the offerings (affordable Hawkens are too bright and gawdy for my taste), or didn't want the length and weight of infantry rifles for my intended purpose of short range woods hunting. In the end, I fell for the blend of traditional styles in the Trade rifle, and decided to follow my taste rather than compromise for the sake of historic accuracy. I'm not ashamed to drink blended scotch either. What a Philistine!

As for the slower twist, my mind is playing tricks on me. I could SWEAR the Trade rifle came in a choice of either 1 in 29" and 1 in 48", but now that I'm looking through the websites again, I only find the 1 in 48" that I chose. It must have been all the false starts with the Smith and the Sharps Carbine I kept flip flopping between...

Thanks all for the responses. I have more to go by now. As was stated in a different thread, there is general advice, but for each gun and each purpose, the specifics change. That's why I'm here buggin' y'all.

Jumpshot - I was just out on the Lyman website looking myself. I only see 1:48 twist listed. Unless there are some older rifles out there with a faster twist that aren't currently marketed.

Good choice of guns. Don't sell .50 short. It's plenty for elk also, and your 1:48 twist will allow you the option of conicals to do so should you desire. If yours is like my Investarms Hawken, the 1:48 twist is a little picky about powder charge. My 1:66 GPR doesn't much care about the charge, but go 10 grains either way from it's favorite load and the Hawken starts shooting more open groups. Let us know how it shoots for you.

I had my hands on a flinter 54 cal. trade rifle a few years back in walmart on closeout think the price was $199.00 .
I can't remember why I did not buy it but ask yorself this question you don't see that many used trade rifle for sale they must be good shooters :hatsoff:

Dont worry about the Trade rifle haveing a 1X48 twist in 50 cal, the org Hawken's had 1 X 48 and shot real dang good... you might want to sight it in first (you'll find that on here in diff place's) and just start shooting till you get use to it, have fun and then well tell you how to ring it out so your shooting center X's at 100 yds! :grin: Fred :hatsoff:

The twist you have is a happy medium for round balls and bullets. I had several prouction guns with that twist. You do understand after you've been shooting awhile you'll want a custom or semi-custom gun. Seems like that's what happens to most people. I started out building the cheap production kits they can be a good teaching aid if you ever plan on building your own rifle. Listen to what the folks are telling you on this forum their knowlege is vast plus there are some outstanding builders on this site. I've been shooting flintlocks for 25 years and am still finding out new things. This place is one of the best you'll find on the Net. Good LUCK and good shooting. SSettle :thumbsup:

I have a Lyman Trade Rifle (caplock - .50 cal). Great rifle for the money. Nice fit and finish/very accurate. Mine likes 70 grains of ffg, .490 ball with red striped pillow ticking from Wally World. I'm sure you're going to enjoy this rifle. - Mike in Wisconsin.

Have one in .54. Shoots pretty well with .533 RB's and 0,18mm lubed patches and 75 grs WANO (Schuetzen)PPP, also with .533 self cast 410grs Miniebullet and 90 grs WANO PPP.It is a cap gun.Mounted a Lyman hunting sight last week with adjustable rear sight and sighted it in at 50 meters.

An outstanding gun for the money in my opinion. Built beefy and dependable.
I own one in .54. It's one of my favorites. Mine likes 75 grs.of ffg or 60 of fffg.
When I bought it some years ago and compared it to other production guns side by side the Lyman was like comparing a Beef Stick next to a match stick made in Spain.
They all are 1:48 to the best of my knowledge but throw a PBR real well once you get your load down.
Lyman is made by InvestArms from Italy. They are also sold as InvestArms and sold through Cabela's with the Cabela's name stamped on the barrel.
Keep it clean and shoot real BP and your going to have a lot of fun. :grin:

I think the Lyman Trade Rifle is a good looking and rugged rifle. I have two GPRs, but would not mind a Trade Rifle at all. Look at places like DNR Sports and Midsouth Shooters. The Trade Rifle is one that anyone can afford and will serve you a life time. You made a good chose. It's only the beginning. You have entered into a wonderful world. Now enjoy. :thumbsup:

You made a good choice. I just got one in .54, and havent even shot it yet. I have a .50 Lyman Deerstalker with the same twist and find it likes the .495 ball, 15th pillow ticking, 80g of 2f and a bore button under the ball. I have been using Wonderlube, but am currently trying Moose Snot for a patch lube. Keep it clean and it will last you a lifetime. My Deerstalker is approching 15 years old and shoots as good today as it ever did, and that is good. Have fun, and good luck.

Tarheel, welcome to the forum and M/Ling. I don't have a Trade Rifle, I shoot a TC Hawken 50 Cal 1:48, but just wanted to wish you good luck and enjoy your shooting. Great group of people on this forum and they'll help you with advise, sometimes even when you didn't ask :grin:

Thanks again, folks! Now I have some Trade Rifle specific loads, patches, and lube to start out with. I'm still not sure which way I'm going to go about measuring powder while in the pocossins.

I hear what you're all saying about this becoming an addiction. Isn't that how it always is? But I'm already a late stage addict; this is just my first cartidge-free venture. Ain't that like trying to quit? Weaning myself of cartridges first? Yeah, that's it! LOL!

Latest posts

Back