• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Night and Day Difference!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roguedog

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Boy am I excited! I feel like one of the gang now. I modified my GPR by buying one of the RMC ventliners. I also replaced my frizzen and elevated the flint with some leather. My gun is going off so fast now that I don't have time to flinch. I shot about 10 shots from 50 yards and stacked them all in a four inch circle. I am stoked and having a lot of fun now. Hard to believe how simple a flintlock can be when ignition is pretty quick. Anyway, I am thankful. As a side note, the diameter of the touchhole appears to be less than 5/64" and is still firing quick.

Jeff

This probably makes a difference as well but I was priming the pan with only a little bit of powder. I think in my previous sessions I was overfilling the pan. It sure feels good when your gun is firing well!

Jeff

Congrats!

I'm not actually not very familiar with the ubiquitous Gfair Plains Rifle. Do they come with removeable vent liners to start or do they need to be drilled an' tapped?

Mine came with a removable vent liner. I decided to change it out based on some good reviews of the RMC ventliner. I must say, I was shocked by how fast my gun was firing.

Jeff

I must say, it is very satisfying to be shooting a flintlock somewhat well. I am still in the process of fine tuning my load but for all practical purposes, she is firing fast and pretty much on target. I can't wait for the season to open. It will be very cool to show up to camp this fall with a flintlock. All my buddies are shooting percussion. I think they kind of view flintlocks as archaic. Wait till they see the old gal put some venison on the ground! Thier opinions may change.

Jeff

Another thing. I shot about 10 times and when I was done, my flint was still pretty darn sharp. I think I may have gotten the lock geometry dialed in.

Jeff

This is a tinkerers haven!..Glad to hear you were able to speed up felt lock time.
Beg, borrow,steal some Swiss Null-b prime..every millisecond matters.:grin:s.
In no time you will be calling your shots. :thumbsup:

Alden said:
Congrats!

I'm not actually not very familiar with the ubiquitous Gfair Plains Rifle. Do they come with removeable vent liners to start or do they need to be drilled an' tapped?

Nuthin' 'fair' about my GPR. Having gathered most of my practical flint experience over the years with other shooters custom flint rifles, I can equate the ignition performance of my GPR with that of fine rifles costing several times that of mine.

A little trigger, lock tuning and touch hole improvement is all it took on mine. Any remaining shortcomings are now that of shooter and not rifle.

for true ... a little tinkering will make a huge difference in performance ...

this is, in my mind, part of the allure of the sport/hobby...

I tried to explain it to a co- worker like this:

I can download a tune from the web, or I can tune up my guitar and play it myself. now, which is more fun? you see, it's not just about the music - part of it is about how you make the tune get there.

he looked at me like I was nuts.

oh well, make good smoke!

Roguedog said:
Another thing. I shot about 10 times and when I was done, my flint was still pretty darn sharp. I think I may have gotten the lock geometry dialed in.

Jeff

Many gun flints cause my favorite rifle's cock to push on the frizzen just a smidge at half-cock. I found a flint that's just the right size and painted it so it's easy to find and I don't shoot with it. Instead, it is my model for when I'm poking through a vendor's gun flints, to get the size I really need. You may want to consider the same thing for your flints, now that you have figured out the lock's geometry.

This thread is very interesting to me because I am starting to tinker with my flintlock GPR.

Bill

I thought RMC might stand for Royal Mounted Cartoonists but I didn't want to say anything that might upset our Canadian friends. :grin:

Latest posts

Back