• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

nipple went a flyin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaver foot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I' ve got a problem, this weekend my buddy and i were out shootin our hawkens and i got the idea of shootin my first kentucky long rifle(cva) that i got 20 years ago. I loaded it up with 75 grains bp, wad, and 45 cal ball, cap and boom. Nipple blew out, richocheted off my sun glasses and into my forehead, burnt my face and made me lose about 80% of my hearing curently in my right ear. Been shootin for 25 + years huntin and rondevouing and never had this happen. What went wrong. Nipple and drum threads were good. Thanks in advance.

Prob not tight if the nipple was the correct size and the threads were good. :idunno: Expect it will make you a bit trigger shy when shooting for awhile. Larry Wv

It does sound unusual, but I would suspect a wrong size nipple was in it.

Aren't glasses a good thing to wear when shooting?

If the nipple blew out either the treads on one of the other were wore. If the nipple was not in properly the nipple would have been sticking out so far as to noticeable. It doesn't require being all the way in to hold .I would check the drum threads for wear and make sure the nipple was the correct size. For oversized drum threads Log cabin, Dixie, and TOW all sell oversized nipples. :idunno:

Hey guys thanks for the input. I'm sorry i guess i meant to say patch instead of wad. The nipple that was in it has had probably 200-300 shots through it and it was tight, but after reading about the threads, i checked the drum and they look a little shallow. I guess it's just gona hang above the fireplace now. I've always got my hawkins to rely on, and to be honest, i've never realy cared for that particular gun to begin with. I can tell ya though, if i wouldn't have had on sunglasses, my left eye would be no more. Again, thanks guys

Had that happen twice to me. It's not just loud, it freakin' hurts. I often wonder if it caused some hearing damage to my right ear, as I tend to lean forward with my left ear to hear quiet sounds.

Bad threads in the nipple hole were the cause both times. Bill

I suspect an incorrect nipple. 1/4-28, 6mm-1mm, 6mm-.75mm, all too easy to get the wrong one started, turned down so it seems okay, but the thread engagement isn't really there. As the nipple blew out it likely took some of the drum threads with it.

If you are going to retire the rifle, may I suggest you disable it by running in a short length of appropriatley threaded screw stock, and securing with solder or epoxy? That way a down stream owner would avoid a bad experience.

White Fox

Snowdragon, you now qualify to render "The NRA Salute"! Or, in our company, NMLRA.

It's done by placing the cupped hand behind your good ear, leaning forward and saying "Eh?".

White Fox, who has had to spend $4800 on hearing aids after 60 years of shooting.........

i started with a great planes rifle. which has a metric nipple. later i got a under hammer which i use a 1/4-28 nipple in. some how i put the metric nipple in the under hammer. it blew out during a match. don't know how long it was in there.

i would check the threads real close in the rifle. the tops mite be sheard off. i had to drilland tap mine to a larger size plug it and dril and tap for the 1/4-28 again.

bob308 said:
i started with a great planes rifle. which has a metric nipple. later i got a under hammer which i use a 1/4-20 nipple in. some how i put the metric nipple in the under hammer. it blew out during a match. don't know how long it was in there.

i would check the threads real close in the rifle. the tops mite be sheard off. i had to drilland tap mine to a larger size plug it and dril and tap for the 1/4-20 again.

If that underhammer was an H&A, those use their own nipple. TOW sells them and they are listed on the website. If you need help, the TOW people will send you the correct nipple if you just tell them what gun you are putting it on.

no i breached it my self and made the breach to use 1/2-28 just like the t-c because the nipples were easier to get.

As a fellow member of this forum, I respect your opinion but humbly disagree with disabling the rifle. It is safely reparable and should not be disabled as you suggest unless it has other serious safety problems. The simple fix is to simply tap the drum for the next bigger size nipple threads. Over size nipples are available from several of the muzzleloading supply businesses, Track of The Wolf being one of them.

I, too, have an underhammer that I built that blew out a nipple. Fortunately, because of the way I was holding the rifle, the nipple didn't embed itself in my forearm. The problem was found to be a wrong size nipple. I have several different rifles and keep on hand the different size nipples that I need for them. Obviouosly, during the previous cleaning session, I picked up the wrong size nipple and put it in the underhammer. It was a learning experience and I have worked out a way to keep from mixing up my different size nipples.

A few years back, I had a fellow Shooter ask me and another shooter if we`ve ever had stuff blow in your Face ??? He was shooting a T/C Seneca Cap Gun..We both told Him Nope, never did.A couple shots later, His Hat flew off His Head and He left out a yelp. Anyhow, He had forgot to tighten the Nipple after cleaning . It slowly worked it`s way loose resulting in the Nipple bouncing off His Forehead and removing His Hat!!!! Being experienced Shooters,It was one of those we shoulda known something was going on deals..

I blew one out it was snugged but not tight. Came out on the first shot. Good threads on nipple and rifle. Kind of sucked. :shocked2: Larry Wv

Back