• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NMLRA Member or NOT

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly I am a member as I am of the NRA and TMA. I also supported the shooting programs of YHEC, Boy Scouts and 4H at various times. I hope to assist the Royal Rangers in the coming year.

As to the issues with the NMLRA, frankly I agree with RB on one point in particular:
4) They compromised the special significance of the "Long Hunters Record Book" by opening the doors to allow trophies to also be listed that were taken with modern, high tech, long range scope sighted inlines just because they were "muzzleloaders".

and am not far off on other points as well.

However, they are our only certified ML program, source of trainers and system of rules and largest sponsor of activities. I will stay inside and vote rather than abandon the strongest structure for ML activities. I see little else stepping up to fill this important void, so I will continue to support it with prayers, treasure and time.

I must say that I do not appreciate your periodic rantings against the group about past history that people have addressed years ago. This is another example of your ongoing attempts to damage the organization. I understand that some unfortunate events have taken place; the group has made some changes; some realities are unpalatable to your faction and you will not move on.

Why not try to build rather than damage for a big change? Trumpet and support the TMA. Start a ML wing of the NRA. Organize a local or regional group that is strong enough to gain some recognition. But no, we get the periodic line of negativity.

CS

Support of the NRA should be foremost on any gun owners list of organizations to belong to. I have noticed that the NRA and NMLRA are working together these days and personally I think this is a good thing. Afterall, members from both organizations are gun owners or at least have an interest in protecting the 2nd Amendment,,, one through lobbying (NRA), both through collective usage of firearms and a platform for those firearm usages.

As I said earlier, I don't agree with some of the things the NMLRA does, but how many agree with what the NRA does all the time?

Membership in any organization is a personal decision, no one has to join the NMLRA, nor does anyone need to remain a member if they choose not to.

If you are, or were, a member of the NMLRA and decided your going to walk away, or did walk away from that organization because you have an ax to grind, so be it. That's your decision. Why you left or why you will leave is your business. Maybe the ones that remain loyal to the organizations they support are tired of hearing all the whining of these folks that choose to run rather then stand and try to direct a change for the good...

Many of you here know that I helped in the founding of a tradional muzzleloading organization, and I spent a lot of my time helping to organizing and develope programs to help promote traditional muzzleloading. I got burned out with it as very few members are willing to come forward and pitch in to help build an organization they believe in. I've seen this before, so it's not anything new when it comes to membership in organizations and the members stepping up to help an organization along they believe in.

I think the NMLRA has the same trouble. I bet the NRA does also.

No,,, they whining has to end if you want to help effect change in any organization. If you don't realize that, well,,, you're just throwing out words of no value to any cause or end results. No organization I know of listens to non-members. Why should they?

Sorry for such a long post, and I'll get off my soap box.

Member , live in Wisconsin .
Never been to a rondevous .
Never been to Friendship .
Paul has some really good points to ponder , but didn't answer the question .
My reasons for being a member are as valid as those who are not . I respect any man who has conviction .
Just my two cents

Not a member, Tennessee.
I've been a member of the NRA for 59 years, have never felt the need to belong to ANY lesser orgainization. :v

Member in Michigan

One problem that I see as far as the magazine goes is that pretty much everything was covered back a hundred & thirty years ago (ML shooting & guns that is) How many different ways can you rehash all this & make it interesting? A good example of this is the Bevels writings. Which I feel is some of the best stuff in Muzzleblast & have had the privilege to write for a couple of times. My point is that from time to time they resort to some rather strange topics in an effort to fill the pages.

Another problem is our own personal experience. It's like the first blanket shoot you went to. You got to the blanket after the match & everything on the blanket was something you wanted. Now you go to the blanket after the match & wonder how all the junk ended up in the same place. Now in reality the blanket is the same & your perception of it has changed. Years ago you needed everything on the table & now you may need nothing. The magazine is the same. Years ago everything you read in Muzzleblasts was new to you & now much of the material is has already been covered.

In a way we are all looking at another problem as far as the existance of a magazine goes. This forum & others like it cover more material day to day than Muzzleblast will in a year. Paul V pumps out more good stuff over his morning coffee than a good magazine. And he's only one of a hundred.

Member. I cannot for the life of me understand the reasons some give for not being a member--but it is a free country [sorta]. If for no other reason, I like the monthly mag and look forward to it. The series by Wallace Gusler alone has been worth he price of membership. No, I have never been to Friendship--but that is my fault, not theirs. I don't read or even look at the inline ad or the rare articles involving hunting with them. What mag has all articles that you are interested in and nothing else? Darn few. Some of my buddies dropped out years ago and it had nothing to do with inlines--it was over control of local rondies. One of them was a regional rep for NMLRA and NMLRA competition shooter. He got really angry with the NMLRA over some rondy stuff--I was never clear on the details--but the great Southwestern Rendezvous is no longer a NMLRA event because of it. Yes, I think they have strayed form their original charter, but they are the only viable ML organization and one of two MLer mags. If you are not a member you have cut yourself off from alot of good info.

NRA lifer Not a member of NMLRA, live in Oklahoma. Was a member in the 50s and early 60s. I build one gun a year and shoot the front loaders now and then. I am to tied up with black powder cart to spend much time with anything else. Though I will always love the true traditional long rifle.

For many years the association has sponsored a Winter Shoot in Arizona, specifically to draw western shooters down to warmer climes at that time of year, and participate in sanctioned shooting events.

Have you attended the NMLRA winter nationals?

I did this year, vendors and attendance continues to decline for the event, it was like the NMLRA financial and overall backing was minimal.

Was disappointing in general, found it poor doings over all and won't be going back.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H.L. Mencken

Back