• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

nose cap or not..............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1961

62 Cal.
Reaction score
i'm haveing a tuff time finding a iron nose cap and wondering if there are some pictures of carved and shaped wooden nose cap i may be able to copy fer my lancaster...................bob

I doubt that it's P.C., but i made a really cool looking nosecap out of cowhorn for my wife's rifle. Get a "HORN-UGLY" from TotW, and carve away.

(But if you use power tools, do it outside- horn is basically compressed hair, and when you cut or carve it with power tools it's really stinky.)

not worried bout being PC right now....just want someting thats mine.................bob

An Iron nose cap should not be a problem. Call Tip Curtis 615-654-4445 or tell me what you are wanting (Exactly) and I will look for one for ya when I go up there possibly this Friday. :thumbsup:

For what it's worth here's what I did.
newview.jpg
Good luck.

thats looks good and most likely what i'll do....do ya have a side profile picture of it with the rod removed and from the bottom a little...............bob

i'll give tip a call to see what he might have and what i need possibly....thanks BD6.............bob

Best I could find was wax cast steel, nothing in iron.

Track of the Wolf - Bivins style wax cast steel nosecap (click me)
mc-bivin-i_1.jpg

I've got a brass nose-cap, ramrod tip, front sight base and patchbox on Cherry with otherwise iron furniture. Looks good together. Especially as it "weathers" and darkens up. Just 'cause it's brass doesn't mean you have to make it shiney.

I have hit the patchbox a couple times with some Flitz on a rag. A single pass and then wiped off gently with a clean rag. Starting to look like old brass that is worn shiny in the high spots.

Much darker now than in this image.
cherry33s.jpg

Give me a while and I'll try to get the photos you want. It's too hot right now and my indoor photos are pretty poor quality. When I did mine I figured that if I screwed it up I could always put a metal or horn cap over it to cover the mistake. I also bedded my barrel channel which strengthens the muzzle end.

Please post the pics Jaegermeister.
I'm sure there are others who would like to see the front wooden option.
Isn't that called a schnabbel end or something?

I've got to recharge my camera batteries. My schnable-like wooden muzzle does not hold up to close scrutiny and can be made to look much more refined and clean by others compared to what I hacked out. I lack some skills in the carving and finishing stages of building but I wanted something I made by myself. Well, it may be rough but I'm proud of it anyway. I'm certain some of our well established builders can post some photos of some much better wooden muzzlecaps. If not I'll shame myself and try to get some pics up soon.

A wooden nosecap and a schnabel forend are not the same thing. A nosecap is there to protect the fragile nose of the thin stock. If you make one for your rifle why make one of wood? Make it of Iron if Iron mounted or brass if brass mounte. Or even horn.
On the other hand I think a finely finished nose without a nose cap can be very good and clean looking. And with a swamped barrel its much easier to shape the stock including the nose to exactly match the flare of the barrel.
Thats where the schnabel look comes in.

Sue at Muzzleloader Supplu has both cast and steel.

I just deside to leave the one I bought off.

The picture above is pretty much where Im going.

Latest posts

Back