• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

not firing 1st time after cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I don't like about this method, for me, is that I will typically keep my gun loaded until such time that I shoot at an animal. This may be days or weeks. I can't do this if I have already fouled the barrel with black powder. The rust bug will set up in no time. I always load on a clean barrel. In regard to popping caps, I can just about tell by the sound of the cap popping whether or not I have a clean nipple. When popping a cap on a clean nipple, the report seems be very sharp whereas if the nipple is plugged, the report is soft and muffled. Just my experience.

Jeff

smokin .50 said:
A CLEAN gun is a HAPPY gun & it ALWAYS goes BANG! :thumbsup:

I don't like Pyrodex. I had too many problems with it so I threw it on the pepper plants and got real black powder.
If you add "with black powder" to the end of the above quote, then I agree.

So many of us are members of multiple forums under same or different "handles" become difficult for old men like me to keep upm with the same question in different forums, so maybe I already answered this.

My 1st venture into BP was mid 1970's after getting out of military.
Had this OLD man back then show me the ropes.
I've come to believe there is no real wrong way to do this (BP shooting), but some have had to venture into it blind. Face it, Cabelas, bass pro etc salesmen aren't going to be much help in teaching newbie.
And some people IMO go way over board on a simple sport. But to each his own I guess. I like to KISS!

So, problems with not going bang after cleaning or swabbing between shots.

I have never "popped" a cap beforehand just wasteful. If you thoroughly clean your weapon no need.
Even brand new needs cleaned.

The old man taught me to use rubbing alcohol, because out in the field hunting or at the range, hot soapy water just may not be available, but you can probably carry a small bottle of the R. A.

It's best to remove the barrel, but not absolutely necessary.

If brand new or used. lay a piece of innertube or leather etc on nipple, let hammer down on it.
Pour 3 to 4 oz RA down barrel, let soak a few minutes
to soften and dissolve oil / fouling.
Most all breech chambers are smaller than the bore and most flash holes are at the very bottom.

If you have a .50 cal, do not try to force a .50 cal brush to bottom, just asking to get it stuck,
use a .36 cal or such with a patch and / or a breech scraper for you rifle.
After you've worked the breech, slosh that RA up the barrel to soften crud there. Dump the excess into a small bowl / can.
1/2 cock the hammer pull nipple and cleanout screw.
Thoroughly brush / swab the bore and flash channel.
When clean if storing oil or not your choice.
Unless you are a purist as me, Use a synthetic if you want.
Plain machine oil / sewing machine oil/ gun oil works for me.
Using a jag or slotted tip and a natural fiber patch add just two or 3 drops oil, work it into the patch
swab it. You only want to leave a very light sheen.
I normally don't use oil though and never enough that it would run down to the breech or if upside down, out.
Now pipe cleaner the flash channel NO OIL.
coat the screw threads so won't seize.
check the nipple hole clear? good
coat the threads so don't seize
install both.
Wipe down exterior and store.
If going shooting no oil in the barrel at all.

I mostly use a very thin mixture of beeswax and lard on a patch now days to lube the barrel. So far no problems leaving it and just pouring powder in, for me.

Swabbing between shots. I've found not really necessary. Only if accuracy starts to suffer or can't get the ball down.
Then RA only. Moose milk and a lot of others, leave an oil residue behind that can clog the channel.
As a safety, you may want to remove the clean out screw and run a pipe cleaner or pick. I never have had to.
RA will evaporate pretty quickly,

Load
I have used BP, Pyro, T7 in all my guns with no ignition problems. Never used pellets though.
If you are having ignition problems with the subs
while it is a pain, try 5 to 10 gr real BP in first, then rest of load on top. BP does seem to ignite better.
Also in Percussion users after powder but before ball.
turn rifle sideway, nipple / lock side down, tap rifle on side to settle a bit of powder into the flash channel.
Flinters you can too or after priming pan, do same
but lock side up get the prime into the hole.

My apologies for the book,but the OP question was rather involved and required IMO a lengthy answer, trying to cover all aspects of his issues.

Patocazador said:
smokin .50 said:
A CLEAN gun is a HAPPY gun & it ALWAYS goes BANG! :thumbsup:

I don't like Pyrodex. I had too many problems with it so I threw it on the pepper plants and got real black powder.
If you add "with black powder" to the end of the above quote, then I agree.

So added, lol! Although I try to NOT always bring-up the fact that Pyrodex needs a hotter spark, makes rust rings & crud rings from poor cleaning technique quicker than any other powder, and generally causes LOTS of problems with regard to age & storage conditions, IF handled by Experts in the field (NOT merely Newbie weekend hobbyists) & within its' limitations, it does EXTREMELY well for itself. Several forum members hunt with it & LOVE it!

That all being said, in all of my years of shooting (now 45+) I've never had a friend bring me old, partially used Pyrodex to "shoot-up". But I can't remember how many have given me Goex in Antique cans with the old Pennsylvania address on it :wink: that went BANG every time!

I am not sure how you are cleaning your gun but the ony correct way is to flush it with warm soapy water. Remove your barrel from the stock, remove the nipple and place the breach end in a bucket of warm soapy water. Plain old dish soap is good. Wet a patch with teh soapy water and use your clenaing rod to run it to the breach. Pump it several times to get the water started flushing into and out of the nipple hole and the and use full length strokes to clean all of the crud out of your bore. Rinse with clear water, dry with several patches and then spray some WD-40 down your barrel to remove the last traces of water. Wipe out the WD-40 and then run a patch with some Barricade on it through your bore to protect it from rust. Store it muzzle down so that any oil will run toward the muzzle and no0t back into the breach. Before shooting, wipe out your bore with some dry patches and then cap your gun and hold the muzzle down hear a blade of grass as you pop the cap. If the blade of grass moves, your fire chamber is clear and you are ready to load. If you are using substitute powders, you will need to use #11 magnum caps. The regular caps just do not have enough oomph to fire synthetic powders reliably. They are great for real black powder but just not enough for synthetics.

Clear, clean bore and fire channel, no oil, water, etc. in the breach and good hot caps and she will go bang the first time, every time.

Put a musket nipple on it.

If you do everything right the #11s are fine. Thing is you are hunting and need first time, every time reliability. #11s are fine for target shooting or folks who shoot a lot. For occasional hunters, they can give problems, depending on breech design.

Breech design...........I made a side slapper cap lock. The musket nipple screws into the side of the barrel ahead of the breech plug. That rifle has never give a misfire or hang fire, ever. An under hammer should work the same. This is possibly something to consider when buying or building a hunting rifle.

Since I only shoot my cap locks occasionally, and store them muzzle up, I have the same issues. No amount of cleaning really got me to 100% first shot reliability. I shoot black too. Musket caps have a lot more fire. They will blow through the oil and dirt to ignite the powder.

I know others disagree with me on this. I am trying to save the guys hunt. Musket caps are much more sure fire, that solves his problem with out any fuss.

I went through a period where I used musket caps because I was using synthetic powders. But once I went to using real black and refined my cleaning skills, I have never needed a musket cap. As a result, I no longer use them. I think if you need to use a musket cap to get your .50 cal sidelock to go boom, you're probably doing something wrong. No offense meant by this. Just my opinion.

Jeff

I, too, have a .50 cal T/C Hawken. I clean it, store it and prepare it before firing just as I described above. I have always used #11 magnum caps and I have shot both synthetic powders and real black powder in it. In thousands of shots, I have had only a very few fail to fire the first time. I attribute that to making sure that I thoroughly clean my rifle after shooting it, I store it properly so that it does not rust, I make sure that the flame channel and bore are clean and free of oil before loading. All of this assures me that it will go bang the first time I pull the trigger. I cannot stress cleanliness enough. Cleaning it as you would a modern rifle will not get the job done. You must clean with soapy water as I described above. When you put your rifle up in your gun safe or where ever you store it, it must be at least as clean as the day it came from the store. Before you load it, the bore must be clean and free of oil. You must snap a cap before loading to be sure that your flame channel is open and clear of any obstructions. Use #11 magnum caps. Absolute cleanliness and #11 magnum caps is the answer. If you will do this religiously, you will not have misfires.

Everyone is right here. It depends on the gun. Guns are not all equal. Patent breeches and breech plugs with tiny flash passages are likely to give trouble. The other extreme is my example of a side slapper with the nipple resting right on the main charge.

I suspect his flash channel is narrow and or convoluted. That can be fixed. It sounded like he probably would not be able to do that on his own. The "quick" fix is a musket cap so, I suggested it.

If it were mine I would open up the passages in the breech plug, in addition to most of the handling suggestions given.

Back