• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not trying to pick a fight...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:agree: :RO: :m2c:
If someone is truly poverty stricken, then I think their money might be better spent in areas other than entertainment. If they're shootin' to put food in their bellies, then I'd turn my back if they were out hunting at night with a flashlight! Gunstocks wouldn't matter when it comes to survival. But, when someone is spending $100 a night to vacation in the area of the 'voo I'm participating in tells me reenacting is too expensive, it's just a matter of opinion. What I do is important to me and if all they can see is a price tag, then we're on different pages.
:m2c: >When an event sets guidelines as to what period is being reenacted, and a pilgrim trys to break those rules then the pilgrim should walk. Flourescent colored feathers look great on a dancer at a pow-wow, but not at a rendezvous. I'm not a "thread counter", but it's good that they are around. Otherwise everything gets ground down to the lowest common denominator. I doubt there were many Indians with canvas tepees in 1820, but I don't think they should be excluded from rendezvous. On the other hand, I don't want a nylon tent set up next to me. I believe the idea is to create as authentic a recreation as possible. Making some "attempt" just doesn't cut it. It's always a little magical to me when I see people change into their "regular" clothing as the camp is being broken. Beautifully crafted buckskins are replaced by shorts & t-shirts and you can hardly recognize who the people are. I'd hate to give that up! :m2c:
Bill :thumbsup:

I doubt there were many Indians with canvas tepees in 1820, but I don't think they should be excluded from rendezvous.

And this is where I tend to get lost in the "level of PC" debate. It is confusing to say the least. I am just now getting into period correct clothing and equipment and I don't know what to think at times.

So, if period-incorrect canvas tepees should not be excluded, what else should not be excluded. Is there a "manual" somewhere that explains which contradictions are acceptable?

now i couldn't see this in a black composite stock fer no mount of money....

154672.jpg

154677.jpg

154668.jpg

no sir................bob

I don't believe Bob ever made the claim that it was. He has at least made an attempt at traditional, and he is to be commended for that. He has never argued to get special treatment for anything that I'm aware of... :peace:

Again, Nice job, Bob! :thumbsup:

bob,
Saw the pics, and that is real pretty wood! Is that a factory gun or did you do that fine work yourself? I can't tell from the pics but is that iron furniture or brass.

Smokeydays

I have always prefered a wooden stock on all firearms. I suppose it just comes down to my personal preference. Every single one of my guns have a wood stock or grip handles....except for one. :sorry:
I went into a local gun shop and came across a T/C GreyHawk in .54. The fellow was asking $90 and it didn't appear to have ever been fired. The GreyHawk is the synthetic/stainless steel version of the New Englander. I couldn't pass up the deal and planned , right away, to change the stock to wood. T/C wrote me that it would cost over $200 for a wood stock. I'm not as blessed with the talent ( or time) as many of you fine fellers so, it will remain plastic. I'm not disappointed in the GreyHawk whatsoever. It'll cut cloverleaves at 50 yards offhand. It has to be the gun, I've never shot like that before and my bro-in-law was taking every other shot. 6 holes in one are good enough for me. I feel it deserves it's place in my gun cabinet just like it is. It's also been "annointed with blood" already, I got a bit sloppy with my field dressing. :curse: It IS still the only gun with plastic, and the only one I plan on ever having, BUT , who knows what will come along on the next visit to the gun shop. :thumbsup:

Bob,

What I said didn't quite sound right. What Longknife said is what I should have said. My apologies... I think you know what I meant to say anyway... :peace: :thumbsup: That truly is a nice stock and a fine job you did with it! :thumbsup:

I doubt there were many Indians with canvas tepees in 1820, but I don't think they should be excluded from rendezvous.

And this is where I tend to get lost in the "level of PC" debate. It is confusing to say the least. I am just now getting into period correct clothing and equipment and I don't know what to think at times.

So, if period-incorrect canvas tepees should not be excluded, what else should not be excluded. Is there a "manual" somewhere that explains which contradictions are acceptable?

I have a friend thet made his tipi out'a "brain-tanned elk hides", all ropes are "braided horse hair"!!

However such "craftsmanship" isn't regularly seen, and is expensive to buy retail.

Ther are a "few" craftsmen who sell 100% authentic tipis if you can afford'em!!

No, ther isn't any "rule book" (thet I'm aware of) thet will give you "specific details" for all the various re-enactment events, because of varying levels of authentic requirements by each.

YMHS
rollingb

Steel is generaly accepted for barrel making and furniture due to cost and safety factors in traditional type guns, when you go to synthetic stocks or other modern "choices" as sights and projectiles, then the term traditional no longer applies, if one must struggle and stretch the imagination and rationalize things with weak analogies to justify the use of the term traditional, then one may want to examine whether it is the use of such equipment or just the sound of the word rolling of the tongue that is the attraction.

Not trying to pick a fight, :nono: but I just wanted to see how people here feel about "traditional style" rifles, percussion or flintlock, with synthetic stocks? Personally I use one now, because its lighter and if it gets a scratch, I won't feel obligated to strip the finish and redo it. But I won't stoop to using a modern inline. :curse: :shake:

Just :m2c:

My dad just bought a Traditions deerhunter with synthetic and I pick on him about it because I like to pick on him..like he did me when I was young. He has a perfectly good CVA Kentucky hangin' on the wall. He said he wanted somethin' easier to clean....Me...the next best thing to shootin em is cleanin em' Call me CRAZY!! I love the smell. and I'll stick to the smell and look of wood too!!! :m2c:

Steel is generaly accepted for barrel making and furniture due to cost and safety factors in traditional type guns, when you go to synthetic stocks or other modern "choices" as sights and projectiles, then the term traditional no longer applies, if one must struggle and stretch the imagination and rationalize things with weak analogies to justify the use of the term traditional, then one may want to examine whether it is the use of such equipment or just the sound of the word rolling of the tongue that is the attraction.

TG,.... You nailed'er purty "center" right ther!! :thumbsup: :applause: :redthumb:

YMHS
rollingb

Rollingb,

Thanks for the reply!

So, it seems that, for consistency's sake, that canvas tipis should be excluded then. From what I have read in this thread, expense isn't an excuse for substitution. Afterall, extremely accurately-pc rifles are "expensive to buy retail" as well, but non-pc rifles aren't accepted.

I guess one could opt to use an inexpensive wedge tent, that is period-correct, and leave his non-pc rifle at home when going to a rendezvous.

I just don't see how one can honestly say that some things are acceptable at a rendezvous but other things aren't when using the same argument to justify both positions. Again, consistency...

I think this is where some potential living-historians may get scared-off - they hear the more experienced people preaching perfection, but see something totally different. I am speaking from experience here, because I am new to the historical aspects of muzzleloading and, to be honest, I am having second thoughts. I mean, why would I spend a ton of time doing research and asking questions and spending a ton of money (relative, by the way) on pc gear, only to have to worry about some "Stitch Nazi" busting my b@lls because he has a different opinion? Why would anyone? How does one ever know if he/she is doing this the right way?

I think this is where some potential living-historians may get scared-off - they hear the more experienced people preaching perfection, but see something totally different. I am speaking from experience here, because I am new to the historical aspects of muzzleloading and, to be honest, I am having second thoughts. I mean, why would I spend a ton of time doing research and asking questions and spending a ton of money (relative, by the way) on pc gear, only to have to worry about some "Stitch Nazi" busting my b@lls because he has a different opinion? Why would anyone? How does one ever know if he/she is doing this the right way? [/quote]

I am begining to feel the same TML. I was excited about gitting the Bobcat for christmas and have been lookin for a club in the area to shoot with others. But it looks like if I find a club I wont be allowed to shoot because my rifle has a synthitic stock :boohoo: Guess I'll have to be satisfied with shooting in the backyard till I git the money to buy a wood stock.

IronMan

Wow!
From "Synthetic or Wood Stocks?" to Canvas Tipi's!

Now that is comprehensive!

:crackup:

I agree! :crackup: But, come on, with a title like "Not trying to pick a fight...", do you really think the goal of the original post was to actually debate the finer, and not-so-finer points of the gunstock? :haha:

Thanks Sharps 4590 and Claypipe, Yea they are my pride and joy. If you'll go to the photo section I just pulled my original post about the matched pair.

Claypipe I believe if a person wants it bad enough he will find a way to reach his goals. I've got friends who bulk at the price of some things and then turn right around and spend more on junk I wouldn't even consider buying!

That good looking lad in my avatar is my grandson Logan.(There's a pic of him in Buckskinner in the Buckskinner's afield section Feb/Mar issue) My 3 boys are grown & gone Thank God and yes I did without a lot of the things I wanted when they were young! So I'm making up for it now!LOL!

It's all about priorities I couldn't afford to buy my guns but I still acquired them by trading. Some have said I was crazy to trade the Cadillac for guns when I could've got some good hard cold cash for the car. NOT! I think I did good.

Check out the post Flinters in progress in the photo section!

Hey Ironman shame on em if they don't treat ya right you'd be welcome at my club, sure we'd try our best to get ya into a wood stock but we'd never turn ya away!

YMH&OS,
Chuck

Rollingb,

Thanks for the reply!

So, it seems that, for consistency's sake, that canvas tipis should be excluded then. From what I have read in this thread, expense isn't an excuse for substitution. Afterall, extremely accurately-pc rifles are "expensive to buy retail" as well, but non-pc rifles aren't accepted.

Yep!!.... thet's right!! :: :thumbsup:

Now,.... wher we gonna find enough animals to "brain-tan" so everbuddy has a 150+ lb. tipi????? :haha: :haha:

I guess one could opt to use an inexpensive wedge tent, that is period-correct, and leave his non-pc rifle at home when going to a rendezvous.

Right agin!! :thumbsup:

I just don't see how one can honestly say that some things are acceptable at a rendezvous but other things aren't when using the same argument to justify both positions. Again, consistency...

Not all "events" require the same "level" of authinticity!! :nono:

I think this is where some potential living-historians may get scared-off - they hear the more experienced people preaching perfection, but see something totally different. I am speaking from experience here, because I am new to the historical aspects of muzzleloading and, to be honest, I am having second thoughts. I mean, why would I spend a ton of time doing research and asking questions and spending a ton of money (relative, by the way) on pc gear, only to have to worry about some "Stitch Nazi" busting my b@lls because he has a different opinion? Why would anyone? How does one ever know if he/she is doing this the right way?

You do the "research", put it into "practice",..... and, you definitly won't have any trouble with the (mythical) "stitch Nazi's" at yore average events.

Only when you think you are ready to attend "juried events", will you and yore equipment/gear, be under studied scrutiny!!

Ther are different "levels" for different "events",... as a beginner, I suggest you start at the more "lax" ones (while gain'n experience and research) and work yore way "up"!!

It's all "fun"!! :applause: :thumbsup: ::

YMHS
rollingb ::

Juried events?! Holy manure! There are juried events?! (thud) :crackup:

I have a long, long way to go. ::

Latest posts

Back