• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not trying to pick a fight...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Huntinfool. I really do want to git into BP shooting. Dont know if I'll git into the Re-enactment end of things. I do the SCA and Renaissance/Medieval Re-enactment and have delt with "Stitch Nazi's" and "button counters" befor.

IronMan

P.S. That pic of your grandson in this months issue of Buckskinner made me think of my granddaughter in a couple years :redthumb: She is 5 months old now and I am already thinkin about gittin her a ML. :haha:

Juried events?! Holy manure! There are juried events?! (thud) :crackup:

I have a long, long way to go. ::

:crackup: :crackup: Yes,... it can be a "journey" thet can take years to complete!! :applause: :thumbsup: ::

YMHS
rollingb

The juried events I've seen are a little to tight for me. My Arrow center line mocs won't cut it any materials such as calico won't make the grade. The list goes on and on. I forget which one it was I think it was a re-enactment of Geore Rogers Clarks famous trek across the swamp land.

I'm into it for the fun of it to the average person my outfit is great looking primitive stuff to most of the juried events I wouldn't cut it!

YMH&OS,
Chuck

:crackup: :crackup: Yes,... it can be a "journey" thet can take years to complete!! :applause: :thumbsup: ::

Well, I can't very easily stop now, so I guess I'm in for the long haul. Now, I'm kicking myself for choosing a time period and location that is probably the least often (if ever) portrayed by historians - East Texas/1800-1820. :crackup:

Well, actually, I feel "obligated" to that time period and location because of my ancestors. manure! Why couldn't they have been in the Revolutionary War or something more easily reenacted!! :crackup:

:thumbsup:

The juried events I've seen are a little to tight for me. My Arrow center line mocs won't cut it any materials such as calico won't make the grade. The list goes on and on. I forget which one it was I think it was a re-enactment of Geore Rogers Clarks famous trek across the swamp land.

I'm into it for the fun of it to the average person my outfit is great looking primitive stuff to most of the juried events I wouldn't cut it!

Chuck,

I will probably never attend a juried event because I'm pretty sure that there isn't an event that is dedicated to East Texan farmer/hunters of the early 1800's. :crackup:

I will still strive for "perfection", because, afterall, we are our own worst critics. It is hard to hide things from ourselves. I hate that fact too! :haha:

I just don't see how one can honestly say that some things are acceptable at a rendezvous but other things aren't when using the same argument to justify both positions. Again, consistency...

I think this is where some potential living-historians may get scared-off - they hear the more experienced people preaching perfection, but see something totally different. I am speaking from experience here, because I am new to the historical aspects of muzzleloading and, to be honest, I am having second thoughts. I mean, why would I spend a ton of time doing research and asking questions and spending a ton of money (relative, by the way) on pc gear, only to have to worry about some "Stitch Nazi" busting my b@lls because he has a different opinion? Why would anyone? How does one ever know if he/she is doing this the right way?

Don't let them scare you off or bust your nads. Tell'em to sod off. The most important thing in my book is that you can shoot straight and enjoy yourself. I use to incite riots at different handgun shoots when I lived in Louisiana. One fella got so frustrated when I out shot him in an IHMSA match, he slammed his fancy scoped Wichita bolt action pistol on the concrete apron. Me, I was using a then new 686 Smith & Wesson .357 L frame, straight out of the box with Federal factory ammo. I would shoot steel challenge matches with guns like an antique 5 shot break top Thames Arms .38 s&w revolver, or my 9mm Polish VIS, often call a Radom. And then there were times I used a custom round butted .44 Magnum Ruger Redhawk with a 5 inch barrel. BTW, I did and still do most of my own gun work. They hated that cannon at the indoor ranges. Bottom line I went to have fun and the competition grudgingly had to give credit where credit was due.

Just :m2c:

Don't let them scare you off or bust your nads. Tell'em to sod off. The most important thing in my book is that you can shoot straight and enjoy yourself. I use to incite riots at different handgun shoots when I lived in Louisiana. One fella got so frustrated when I out shot him in an IHMSA match, he slammed his fancy scoped Wichita bolt action pistol on the concrete apron. Me, I was using a then new 686 Smith & Wesson .357 L frame, straight out of the box with Federal factory ammo. I would shoot steel challenge matches with guns like an antique 5 shot break top Thames Arms .38 s&w revolver, or my 9mm Polish VIS, often call a Radom. And then there were times I used a custom round butted .44 Magnum Ruger Redhawk with a 5 inch barrel. BTW, I did and still do most of my own gun work. They hated that cannon at the indoor ranges. Bottom line I went to have fun and the competition grudgingly had to give credit where credit was due.

Just :m2c:

:hmm: I ain't never heard'a "them" muzzleloaders!! :eek: :shocking: :: :no:

I use to incite riots at different handgun shoots when I lived in Louisiana.

I have yet to meet a "Louisiana Boy" who couldn't shoot! And, growing up close to the Texas/Louisiana border, I knew quite a few.

They hated that cannon at the indoor ranges.

I have to agree with them! :haha: Dang, those things are loud - they pierce right through an E.A.R plug/headset combo. in the indoor ranges! :haha:

I use to incite riots at different handgun shoots when I lived in Louisiana.

I have yet to meet a "Louisiana Boy" who couldn't shoot! And, growing up close to the Texas/Louisiana border, I knew quite a few.

They hated that cannon at the indoor ranges.

I have to agree with them! :haha: Dang, those things are loud - they pierce right through an E.A.R plug/headset combo. in the indoor ranges! :haha:
if ya think thats loud ...try hearing someone talk after squeezing off a 454casull :shocking: ::
i bet they wouldnt be too happy if i was shootin my pistol with goex indoors eigther :shocking: :: ::

Yay Buddy! The range master would place me on the ejector side of the semi-auto pistol shooters to even things out. The other shooters would flinch like crazy, and I had to duck hot brass. Those things smart when they get caught inside one's shirt! Learned not to tuck in my shirt. :haha:

[/quote]

I am begining to feel the same TML. I was excited about gitting the Bobcat for christmas and have been lookin for a club in the area to shoot with others. But it looks like if I find a club I wont be allowed to shoot because my rifle has a synthitic stock :boohoo: Guess I'll have to be satisfied with shooting in the backyard till I git the money to buy a wood stock.

IronMan [/quote]

IronMan, you can bring your synthetic bobcat or whatever (Inline) and come and shoot with me anytime. :winking: :thumbsup:

Off topic: Certainly, if a event or club has a specific goal for period correctness or other requirements than I one wished to participate, then one should strive to attain those aspects.

I am begining to feel the same TML. I was excited about gitting the Bobcat for christmas and have been lookin for a club in the area to shoot with others. But it looks like if I find a club I wont be allowed to shoot because my rifle has a synthitic stock :boohoo: Guess I'll have to be satisfied with shooting in the backyard till I git the money to buy a wood stock.

IronMan

Seem's you have already "excluded" yoreself from shoot'n in a "club", without first talk'n to someone in the club about what ther rules are !!

YMHS
rollingb

Off topic: Certainly, if a event or club has a specific goal for period correctness or other requirements than I one wished to participate, then one should strive to attain those aspects.

I agree... If a club was having a .22LR shoot for rifles, I would not take my .30-06 rifle to that shoot and expect them to allow me to participate.

So I guess I don't understand when a club or event has specified rules about such things from firearms to other equipment, that it is such a big deal when that person is turned away because they don't want to follow the rules, and everyone else who is there, are following the rules?

:peace:

LOL! I knew someone would ask! Remember- what I said was just my opinion. While I've attended and participated in rendezvous and gatherings, I have never set the criteria for one. If they say pre-1815, I don't fit in. I shoot cap guns. I accept their limits- they're happy and I'm not unhappy.
:imo:
Bill :thumbsup:

Nice looking gun Bob (especially the stock). If you look over your left shoulder there's a couple of deer runnin' off on ya! :crackup:
Bill :thumbsup:

As a good friend of mine has often said about such matters, a plastic stock, "is good enough for who its for"

YMHS,
CrackStock

Seriously,

There is a lot of territory lumped into this discussion and each needs to be addressed separately.

If a person wishes to join a group, it is his responsibility to make some enquiry regarding the expectations of the group regarding equipment. There are generally written guidelines and a timeline for compliance. There are jerks in almost every group which contains humans, but most groups try to mute them. There are also different groups with different levels of expectations. One does not enter a juried event if one is a new comer without expecting to spend a lot of money and to take a lot of trouble to comply with the group's expectations.

At the same time, I have seen most shooters, reenactors and living history people go out of their way to introduce people to their groups once the person demonstrated a sincere interest in becoming a part of the activity.

As to plastic stocks, I do not like them and have tried hard to avoid them when coaching youth shooting teams, but as others have noted, it is an uphill battle since plastic is cheap. The concept of shooting sidelock ML guns involves a connection with the past which to my mind is hard to take seriously with a plastic stock.

As to a survival tool, I would just have to "suffer" with my wooden stocks or lean upon my modern guns and my bullet press for this unlikely need.

I also endured both of the storms that you mention as we are from the Carrollton section of New Orleans. (War of 1812 guys can tell you about Gen'l Carroll) I hung around on Bayous Barataria, Segnet and Villars. I hope to get back there someday.

YMHS,
CrackStock

I got no time for stich counters! My guess is they drive more folks away from the the sport than any other thing.
Old Charlie

Rollingb,

You walk through any of a hundred camps,I'm willing to bet you would be hard pressed to find one camp that is truly period correct and consistent with the selected time period. Just because an item may look and seem period, it may not fit in with the time frame of your persona and the rest of your camp. I guess what I try to do is focus more on the "spirit" of the law. I know alot of my gear isn't period or consistent with the time frame I have imposed on myself. As items and money become availble we upgrade and change.
I have a friend who is quarter Nez Perc Indian, and his dress covers a time period of 1850 to 1880's. there probably isn't any person in a camp that is going to know the difference. He just looks Indian, and that's all anybody cares about.

Smokeydays

Smokeydays, and Old Charlie,.... Why are yore posts addressed to me, I'm not the one thet makes the "rules" pretain'n to various events, and I agree with much of what you say???? ::

YMHS
rollingb

Back