• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Now I will clean it.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got 5 more squirrels done with my little .45 smoothrifle.
It's not been cleaned all summer. Just used with plenty of my lube.
Zero rust.
Now I'll give it a clean.
It's my notion that the nomads and mountain men didn't fuss like most do today about cleaning their firearms.
Anyway, had a blast...
IMG_20240918_185630.jpg

Congrats on your successful hunt 👍! I run wet patches with dish detergent and water and then dry patches after I'm finished shooting for the day and then give the gun a good cleaning when I get home. The humidity In Southwestern Pa. is miserable in the summer and I'd be leery leaving a dirty bore even if I did oil, it overnight.

Congrats on your successful hunt 👍! I run wet patches with dish detergent and water and then dry patches after I'm finished shooting for the day and then give the gun a good cleaning when I get home. The humidity In Southwestern Pa. is miserable in the summer and I'd be leery leaving a dirty bore even if I did oil, it overnight.
I don't use anything wet or an oil
My lube is a greasy mix of animal and vegetable fats.
The only time I use something wet is the boiled water to flush the barrel with.

Yes and no!
Only the last outing did I get a misfire and after tipping a pinch of powder in the nipple it fired. Hence the decision to now clean it.
Thank you.

My concern is always about rust forming in places that are not cleaned or removed. Once it’s in there, it’s there. Without doubt it can be a while before it causes issues or is too late.

I hope you never run into that situation.

Thank you.

My concern is always about rust forming in places that are not cleaned or removed. Once it’s in there, it’s there. Without doubt it can be a while before it causes issues or is too late.

I hope you never run into that situation.
I will probably be dead by then friend.
How many originals are still serviceable with clear corrosion?
Steel is easily freshened up.

I meant not me. If I fire it, it gets cleaned that day. You are right that rust can be removed, I just don't like it on my guns. I am all for each individual doing what works for them, but my OCD won't let a dirty muzzle loader stay that way overnight.

I will probably be dead by then friend.
How many originals are still serviceable with clear corrosion?
Steel is easily freshened up.
True, but how many are out there that are rusted so badly that they are no longer serviceable? Last week a fella I know wanted me to look at a couple of his ML that he has for sale. Both of them had the flash channels nearly rusted shut. I doubt they were salvageable. I passed as a result.
About 29 years ago I was offered a .54 GPR. The bore was badly rusted due to not being cleaned.

But, everyone to their own thing. If it works for you, then that’s all that matters.

True, but how many are out there that are rusted so badly that they are no longer serviceable? Last week a fella I know wanted me to look at a couple of his ML that he has for sale. Both of them had the flash channels nearly rusted shut. I doubt they were salvageable. I passed as a result.
About 29 years ago I was offered a .54 GPR. The bore was badly rusted due to not being cleaned.

But, everyone to their own thing. If it works for you, then that’s all that matters.
Sounds like they used the wrong lubes!

Back