• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NW PA Hunting advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any help would be great here. I live in NY between Oneonta and Albany, but finally picked up a PA hunting license. Perfect year to get the license, because I am finishing up my first flintlock rifle.

Any help on finding a good spot to go would be a great help.

There's the Allegheny National Forest, along with several State Game Lands. I haven't personally hunted public land in Northwest PA, but speaking about our public land in general, the late flintlock season is much less crowded than rifle (centerfire) season, and if you're willing to hike in a mile or so, you'll probably be able to find a spot that you'll have to yourself.

In addition to the suggestion about the national forest, the PA Game Commission has purchased nearly 1.5 million acres of game lands, primarily for the purpose of wildlife/habitat management and hunting. Go to their website and click on the map, I think you can find state game lands by number there and you can probably order individual maps or possibly even download them online.

I've hunted NW PA my whole life. Locate the Allegheny River anywhere from Warren south. Hunt the hills on either side of the river. They are steep rugged and ancient but they hold the deer and turkey and you will not run into many others.

Back